Peak Tower | 99.06m | 23s | Lighthouse HM | Davignon Martin

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The lights are on but nobody's home...

Instead of building out a mostly inept Planning department, the City should focus on speeding up the process (and reducing the cost) for plan review of projects that come before it. The time delay is a catalyst for underwhelming efforts from developers and architects. "Time is money" applies here and results in budget cuts at the fine-tuned end of conceptualization. This should be patently obvious!

Instead of building out a mostly inept Planning department, the City should focus on speeding up the process (and reducing the cost) for plan review of projects that come before it. The time delay is a catalyst for underwhelming efforts from developers and architects. "Time is money" applies here and results in budget cuts at the fine-tuned end of conceptualization. This should be patently obvious!

There is a push to speed up planning review times. A year-long project to review the current processes and implement changes to find efficiencies is just wrapping up.

@Nosirrah the fact that the study took a year says it all. In my experience when Planning and Building & S (and other in-government agencies) are proactive in terms of helping to find solutions everything moves along and there are a lot fewer "return visits" to City Hall. The experts are on the outside not the inside. I am not against regulations if they make sense and are justified; I am against people who don't know how to interpret regulations and are quite happy to just punch the clock and send you away with half-baked information, knowing that they will still have a job to come to tomorrow. Edmonton is famous for consensus by committee and so we get middle of the road solutions instead imaginative ones. Sorry to vent -- "it is the same as it ever was" to quote David Byrne of the Talking Heads.

PERMIT_DATE October 29, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10130 - 103 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct uncovered hoarding -East of the Enbridge Building for 7 Months " from October 16, 2019, to April 16, 2020.
BUILDING_TYPE Hoarding (910)
WORK_TYPE (03) Exterior Alterations
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 5,000

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Nov 06, 2019
Status Approved
Description of Development To construct an addition and exterior and interior alterations to convert a Professional, Financial, Office Support Services building to a mixed-Use building with Hotel (175 units) and Apartment Hotel (139 Dwelling units), with accessory Personal Service Shop (spa), Indoor Participant Recreation Service (gym); and one Restaurant (439.7 square meters of Public Space with 250 seats) on the main floor and an underground parkade with 103 vehicular parking stalls, and upgrades and off-site improvements on the existing public realm along Jasper Avenue and 102 Street. (Hyatt House and Hyatt Place)
Address 10201 - JASPER AVENUE NW

I love the re-purposing of the onetime office building -- extra drama with the lighting concept (hope it doesn't get axed); very exciting corner; love the use of the Pantages name. There is tremendous potential here and it looks like it may very well be realised!

I'm not convinced. The paneling between the windows is still going to look old. I think the dark render hides that fact a bit. The podium changes will be welcome though. Wonder what their timeline for this is. It has been in and out of the news for a while. @archited I know, I know, the bureaucracy is holding it up!

Last edited:

Back