News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Agreed ^. Really want to see the Oil win a playoff series at home this year. Haven't won one at home since against the Sharks in '06

I like Vinny, he's really good in his own end, and adds some bite and toughness. I especially like him using his reach on the PK. He's had an up and down year, he looked pretty bad at the beginning of the year but has picked it up since then. I think he needs to work on his shooting, he's a big, strong guy, so you'd think he'd be able to fire it pretty well. But most of his point shot are floaters. I'm not saying he has to change his game and become an offensively oriented D, but I think having a hard shot is something every NHL level defenseman should have regardless of whether they're more offensively or defensively oriented. I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think he was capable of it, but a guy of his size and strength just needs to get the technique down to have a good shot.

As of right now, I'd put him as the Oilers 5th best D, ahead of Ceci.

All that being said, anything above 1 - 1.5 million is an overpay for him. He's a very one-dimensional player, and as I said before I think he has the potential to expand his skill set if he works on his shooting, but he's at best a 5-6 defensive defenseman.

To play devil's advocate, they used to say he was a 7th defenseman. Before that, an AHL defenseman, before that ECHL, before that BCHL, etc. His improvement has been impressive from when he was first called up to the oilers.

That said, I agree, we cannot overpay on the extension.

To play devil's advocate, they used to say he was a 7th defenseman. Before that, an AHL defenseman, before that ECHL, before that BCHL, etc. His improvement has been impressive from when he was first called up to the oilers.
He is definitely one of, if not THE most improved player on this team from last season to this one. I tend to discount the pre-Knob era of 2023-24, as even McDrai were playing subpar hockey (by their standards) back then.
I agree that he's not a player who should be making more than 1-1.5M, right now, but I do believe he has the potential to be higher up in the "ranking" of d-men if he keeps up his improvement rate.

I will be at the game. Speaking about the Coyotes relocations rumours... despite all the drama down there, I'm disappointed they're probably going to be leaving. They have (potentially controversial opinion incoming) one of the best jerseys / uniforms in the entire league. The team has a loaded prospect pool and (if they didn't lose 14 straight games) probably would have been right in the hunt for a playoff spot right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs in either their first or second year in Salt Lake.

I know us in traditional markets like to make fun of these teams for "having no fans" and while they don't have nearly as many as a place like Edmonton, there are still some die hard fans out in the desert that are (most likely) going to have their team taken away (at least for a while).

If they do end up relocating, the Oilers will be the final team they play before being moved.

Been to dozens of 'Yotes Home games pre-COVID. Usually for around $5-7 bucks/game. I'll never forget the time there was a group of 6 of us and we already had our cheap tickets in hand but I went to the ticket booth - back in the day and asked "how much a suite was" for the evening. They said $150 bucks - we took it and even with booze and food - it was only a few more hundred. Ssssooo cheap!

I will be at the game. Speaking about the Coyotes relocations rumours... despite all the drama down there, I'm disappointed they're probably going to be leaving. They have (potentially controversial opinion incoming) one of the best jerseys / uniforms in the entire league. The team has a loaded prospect pool and (if they didn't lose 14 straight games) probably would have been right in the hunt for a playoff spot right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs in either their first or second year in Salt Lake.

I know us in traditional markets like to make fun of these teams for "having no fans" and while they don't have nearly as many as a place like Edmonton, there are still some die hard fans out in the desert that are (most likely) going to have their team taken away (at least for a while).

If they do end up relocating, the Oilers will be the final team they play before being moved.
Better purchase their kachina jersey while you still can!

Any ideas for a new name for the Arizona Coyotes?

Mine are:
- Salt Lake Eagles (a reference to the old minor league team Salt Lake Golden Eagles)
- Utah Rock (see: Utah Jazz)

Better purchase their kachina jersey while you still can!
Definitely considering it...

Any ideas for a new name for the Arizona Coyotes?

Mine are:
- Salt Lake Eagles (a reference to the old minor league team Salt Lake Golden Eagles)
- Utah Rock (see: Utah Jazz)

I'd personally like to see the lean into the whole mountain theme, Eagles is great, though I wouldn't call them Golden Eagles as they would play in the same conference as the Golden Knights.

Utah Bighorns: As in Bighorn Sheep
Utah Alpines: Maybe with a skiing theme? Would certainly be a unique brand
Utah Yeti: Imagine the logo potential!
Utah Blizzard: Might be not as fitting, but the Salt Lake Area does usually get quite a bit of snow

Moving away from the mountain theme:

Utah Stingers: The new Utah state flag prominently features a bee hive, I'm not exactly sure the significance of this, I couldn't really find a clear explanation when I looked it up (though admittedly I didn't look too hard). Either way it is representative of the region, which IMO is the most important thing when considering a sports team name / branding.

Game of the year tonight!

I'm genuinely curious to see this matchup and see which Oilers we get.

GO OILERS GO!

Back