News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

F69L0xAbMAAKEbO

I know that it is early pre-season and all, but I am seeing a lot of the same undisciplined and lost characters on Oilers.

Curious to see how this shapes up.

On cue...

'ESPN’s latest future power rankings put the Edmonton Oilers at 20th in the league based on their roster, prospects, contracts, and management. The article says that while Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl get “massive amounts of respect and adulation,” everything else about the team is “seen as mid.” Sports writer Devon Hladunewich took issue with the ranking.'

Last edited:
Wait what?! You’re on board with this so-called Yankee expert?

Ian, the context of the article is "future" rankings. Please pay no mind to this insane article as this guy has Anaheim, Chicago and Columbus ahead of the Oil. Only thing right he got is the fLamers are ranked last.

Last edited:
It's dragged down by our prospects/cap/contracts and so we are still '3rd' overall, but it's a reminder that we need to keep our heads down, work ethic up and to out compete other teams each and every night.

Someone once said you must make hay while the sun shines and the Oilers aren't window shopping this year on playoff avenue.

Could not care less about future prospect situation or even future cap problems. We have the two best players in the league in their prime with soon to be expiring contracts. Find the title for the remaining quarter section and bet the damn farm.

I foresee 2/3 of those guys getting 3-5 games each this year with the big club and XB making the team next year.

My Oilers season prediction is that they should definitely win the Pacific, I think on paper they are definitely the best team. Vegas could challenge but they should have a bit of a cup hangover to start the season, and their goaltending is... questionable (I know the Oilers have their own questions in net but not to the same extent as the Knights). LA got worse imo over the offseason, Dubois is definitely a decent top 6 player but he certainly isn't better than the sum of the parts they gave up to get him, I could actually see Vilardi being better than him this season and they gave up more than just him. Their goaltending is also shaky, they won't threaten for top in the division, though they should still be a playoff team. No other teams are really a threat for the top. Honestly LA isn't really a threat and I could definitely see a scenario where one (or more than one) of Seattle, Vancouver or Calgary leap frogs them

The only team I see as being a challenge for first in the west is Dallas. They have a high flying offense and the Otter between the pipes. Their defense is mid though (except for Heiskanen). Colorado should not be a threat here, outside of their top line, their forwards are not very good and they will once again be without their captain. I think the Oilers are the best in the west but I wouldn't necessarily disagree with someone who thinks Dallas is better.

In the east I think Carolina and New Jersey are the top teams and they will probably finish ahead of the Oilers in the regular season. In the playoffs I think it's pretty much accepted that the Oilers are the cup favorites, as the previous commenter says this is even accepted by the writers / reporters who are often woefully behind when it comes to who's actually good as a team in the league (though many of them think LA is like a top 5 team bc they have Dubois now somehow). I think that the only people who don't think the Oilers are the favorites are the haters who still think they're only good because of their powerplay and that their defense and depth forwards are still terrible (all of the stats would say otherwise). The only criticism of the Oilers roster that holds some water is the goaltending, which I honestly think won't really be an issue, especially compared to the other top teams in the Pacific, and the west as a whole. I think Campbell is going to have a big time rebound this year and Skinner will stay good too.

There is no excuse this year, and if the Oilers don't at the least win the Western Conference fans and the team will be extremely disappointed and heads will roll in the offseason. If the Oilers don't make the final Woodcroft will likely be fired, Holland's job will be in jeopardy as well and any under performers will be traded or bought out. As Leon said at the end of last season it's Cup or Bust, and I think they'll get it done.

Back