News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Not bad luck, but not owning when you have it.

That first should have been 4-1.
In all fairness, Otter stole that game. He was peppered with shots, including lots of Grade A ones, and shut the door very well. I doubt he'll have another game like that in the series.

If the team keeps playing as well as they did the past 4 games, we'll be playing well into mid-June.

In all fairness, Otter stole that game. He was peppered with shots, including lots of Grade A ones, and shut the door very well. I doubt he'll have another game like that in the series.

If the team keeps playing as well as they did the past 4 games, we'll be playing well into mid-June.
I bet he will. He's a good goalie.

Skinner needs to match him.

I think McLeod's out, Henrique's in for tonight.
This is a good move IMO, I love McLeod but he's been invisible at best in these playoffs and comitting awful turnovers at worst. I like giving him (at least) a game off here to figure some things out. I can't help but feel like McLeod isn't built for the playoffs after seeing him play over the past few rounds. He's playing way too passively, and seems afraid to take contact. I'd like to see him put on some muscle in the offseason this year (as long as it doesn't hamper his skating/speed).

A player that just a few games ago, I thought was in a similar position to McLeod (but more physically commanding) was Foegele, but I think in both game 1 and 2 he's played well and probably could have scored a goal or two already in this series. I think he may find the back of the net tonight.

Keys to tonight's game 3:

1 - Skinner keep up the good play, if the Oilers play their game and Skinner plays decently well, they're a near unstoppable team

2 - Play the full 60 minutes: The Oilers dominated the first period in game 2, Dallas dug in towards the end of the game, and while I think the Oilers were better later in the 3rd, Dallas locked it down very well.

3 - Get a few more calls: I've been pretty disappointed with the officiating so far. They've called pretty much everything they could on the Oilers from ticky tacky interference calls to phantom slashes. Dallas has played a pretty clean game so far, they were the least penalised team in the regular season, and with their penalty kill struggling so far in the playoffs they're being especially careful against the Oilers deadly powerplay. But according to the NHL they've only committed one foul all series (I don't consider that too many men call a real penalty because it should be automatic). If you're playing intense playoff hockey you're going to take more than one penalty in two games and looking at some of the calls on the Oilers, I feel like we're getting majorly shafted in terms of the penalty calling.

One of the Oiler's biggest advantages is their powerplay vs Dallas's penalty kill and we have seen a grand total of 2 powerplays, one which was cut short shortly after starting and was called right at the end of a game that was largely already in Dallas's pocket. Dallas is commiting a lot of picks and interference calls that could be called, but never are for the Oilers, they also called the slashing penalty right at the end of game 2 on the Oilers that Dallas has been doing on McDavid and Draisaitl essentially the entire series constantly with no calls.

I've basically accepted that the Oilers are going to have to face an uphill battle when it comes to officiating as they're playing one of the NHL's favorite teams (sunbelt teams). If anyone else has been watching the Rangers series, the Panthers have also been given preferential treatment so far. The NHL REALLY wants to see a Florida - Dallas final. I think the Oilers are well built to face that, but it would help to get a couple more calls.

They cannot possibly justify giving the speedy Oilers only one powerplay a game for much longer, and I would hope to see more than one call going our way tonight.

That’s two straight games that were there for the taking if the Oilers didn’t take their foot off the gas although full marks to Dallas again for taking back control of the game after the first period.

Pain

We own the first with what 10-3 shots and a ton of confidence and then don't register a shot until deep into the second? What gives.

Skinner was just ok, but the team in front of him looked confused, had very poor positioning and run around for a significant part of the game.

Dallas is indeed good. If we are going to stage a comeback, we need to play a full 60 and not assume that you have the game in hand 20 minutes in.

Relentless indeed. It was as if they had an extra player out there to allow folks to always jam things up and get on the puck.

I love walking along 102 Ave. A few updates from last year.

20240529_124622.jpg

Goals Scored By Period

Dallas Edmonton

1st - 1 --- 3
2nd - 4.--- 3
3rd - 5 --- 0
OT - 0 --- 1

Goals Scored By Period

Dallas Edmonton

1st - 1 --- 3
2nd - 4.--- 3
3rd - 5 --- 0
OT - 0 --- 1

That looks familiar to the Vancouver series, no? I seem to remember very little 3rd period production for the first few games.

Back