North | 125.88m | 40s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Apparently there is a sunset clause in the DC2 (haven't confirmed it myself), and I'm hearing there's a developer interested in acquiring both properties once this rezoning passes. Kinda changes how I view this rezoning, might be more serious than I estimated.

That would make sense. There probably is a deal to be had in acquiring both sites. Jasper site is valuable in the sense that it is close to the new west-central park and the notion that at least 3 (maybe 4) towers will be going up across the street. North helps the Condo King recoup some of his losses on the Jasper property (not that he deserves our pity). North is well positioned for MacEwan University and (somewhat) the Ice District. It would be interesting to know who wants to buy the properties. I'll lay odds on Westrich-Pacific.

4.1 (x):

Notwithstanding the other Development Regulations of this Provision, the
Appendices of this Provision and Section 720.3(2) of the Zoning Bylaw, in the
event that the owner/developer does not obtain a Building Permit and commence
construction of the principal building under a valid Development Permit within 10
years of the passage of the Bylaw adopting this Provision, development of the Site
shall be in accordance with this Provision, except that:
i. the maximum Height shall be 50.0 m; and
ii. the maximum Floor Area Ratio shall be 6.0.

IMO still doesn't do much for blunting exploitation to increase land value. In L.A. as a comparison, once zoning has been approved and a development permit has been issued, the developer has 18 months to get a building permit and get a shovel in the ground. There is a provision to extend that (for a fee each time) 3 times in 6-month increments -- total 3 years. 10 years is way too long.

IMO still doesn't do much for blunting exploitation to increase land value. In L.A. as a comparison, once zoning has been approved and a development permit has been issued, the developer has 18 months to get a building permit and get a shovel in the ground. There is a provision to extend that (for a fee each time) 3 times in 6-month increments -- total 3 years. 10 years is way too long.
Unless you like parking lots... ;)

Are they going to build what was proposed on this site prior, or is it going to be an adaptation of their regular Hat format?

And I do agree Dave the North podium was quite bland.

Back