Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

According to the proposed 2023 operating budget, only the new NAIT station is to open for service next year (alternative case). Guess there is neither the trains or need to operate service to Blatchford Gate for the time being.
That's too bad, but I'm glad the station exists before there is housing for once. I guess the plan is to use SD160s and some U2s once the Capital line purchase of trains is made?

I'm sure everyone's favourite Sun writer will have a nuanced take on the situation when this comes to be.

According to the proposed 2023 operating budget, only the new NAIT station is to open for service next year (alternative case). Guess there is neither the trains or need to operate service to Blatchford Gate for the time being.
There is supposed to be an unfunded service package to give them an option to fund the opening of the Blatchford Gate station. For better or worse, I doubt they will fund it though…

That's too bad, but I'm glad the station exists before there is housing for once. I guess the plan is to use SD160s and some U2s once the Capital line purchase of trains is made?

I'm sure everyone's favourite Sun writer will have a nuanced take on the situation when this comes to be.
The purchase of LRV's for the Blatchford extension is a seperate project from U2 replacements. The intention is to tender them together, so the first LRV's to arrive would be for the Blatchford extension.

There was supposed to be a small storage depot for the additional Metro LRVs, which was scrapped since the Capital Line extension meant the Heritage Valley OMF would be built instead.

As far as I am aware DL MacDonald is at capacity and has no space left, not even for the U2 replacements (which have to be stored and tested before the U2s themselves are decommissioned).

Here's some photos from today, including close-ups of the new NAIT/Blatchford Market Station. I hadn't realized that the multi-use trail took you right onto the station's platform, and instead of sending me back the way I came, a construction worker allowed me to pass through to NAIT. The whole thing's looking nearly done.

20231115_121740.jpg20231115_121803.jpg20231115_121906.jpg20231115_121217.jpg20231115_121214.jpg20231115_121022.jpg

Here's some photos from today, including close-ups of the new NAIT/Blatchford Market Station. I hadn't realized that the multi-use trail took you right onto the station's platform, and instead of sending me back the way I came, a construction worker allowed me to pass through to NAIT. The whole thing's looking nearly done.

View attachment 520444View attachment 520445View attachment 520446View attachment 520437View attachment 520438View attachment 520439
How long to bike and walk from townhomes to station?

Yep, about my guess too. It's hard to say exactly given all the construction and trying to navigate around it, but somewhere in the ten to fifteen minute range sounds about right depending on how fast a walker you are.
Are they done the path/sidewalk connecting Blatchford to the path along the tracks?

Are they done the path/sidewalk connecting Blatchford to the path along the tracks?
Not yet. A few months ago, they said it would be done this year but it doesn't appear it will get completed until the spring (unless this warm weather lasts a few more weeks). A portion of the walk between the station and the current development is likely unsanctioned at this point, but I wasn't stopped when I walked it recently.

As for timing, I think 10 minutes is a safe bet for the average adult...

The purchase of LRV's for the Blatchford extension is a seperate project from U2 replacements. The intention is to tender them together, so the first LRV's to arrive would be for the Blatchford extension.
I really hope they go with the S200s like Calgary...I know in the past we've piggybacked on their orders for the SD160s resulting in a better price per unit for both cities.

I really hope they go with the S200s like Calgary...I know in the past we've piggybacked on their orders for the SD160s resulting in a better price per unit for both cities.
I would bet they'd go with the Buffalo design style as Cleveland and St. Louis have.
But beware, our order of an additional 26 S200s has been severely delayed from their 2020 delivery date. Siemens said they'd start arriving this year but now they might be more than 10 months away still ☹️

1700554719281.png
1700554765084.png

I do like the 2x1 seating arrangement in some of the St. Louis cars. It's a great way to increase standing and overall capacity. City staff have said in several reports that the Capital line was nearing capacity during peak periods between South Campus and the University.

Since we already have Bombardier ( Now Alstom) rolling stock…my bid goes to the

Citadis Classic articulated tram​

IMG_5689.jpeg

It comes in high and low floor.

Back