Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

They bought Bombardier’s Rail devision. Our existing LRV’s are effectively Alstom.

If anything this is a bad thing as Alstom is going to favour their in-house brand vs the stepchild acquisition. Their contract had better be watertight as they will be looking to drop support every chance they get.

Going back on topic, I haven't seen anything come out of the budget deliberations on whether to open the Blatchford extension beyond the new NAIT station. Has that been decided?

Last edited:
i
If anything this is a bad thing as Alstom is going to favour their in-house brand vs the stepchild acquisition. Their contract had better be watertight as they will be looking to drop support every chance they get.

Going back on topic, I haven't seen anything come out of the budget deliberations on whether to open the Blatchford extension beyond the new NAIT station. Has that been decided?

During morning rush the metro line gets quite busy, but I agree, there isn’t enough stations and demand to warrant 4 or even 5 cars.

There's no need for 5 car trains on the NLRT at this point. 4 car trains aren't even really needed for that matter.

Given the amount of maintenance work ongoing for the existing lines and the propensity of ETS to run five-car trains, I think it's needed for degraded operations.

I remember the summer of 2019 when trains simply did not stop at NAIT because it did not have the required platform length.

Does anyone know what speeds they'll run the trains across Princess Elizabeth Avenue? I'm hoping for 50 km/h but the curve seems quite tight with little superelevation, so I'm worried the trains will still crawl across the intersection.

Does anyone know what speeds they'll run the trains across Princess Elizabeth Avenue? I'm hoping for 50 km/h but the curve seems quite tight with little superelevation, so I'm worried the trains will still crawl across the intersection.
I don't think the speed limit of 30kmh northbound and 25kmh southbound is changing. I expect the trains to clear the intersection slightly faster than before, because they'll decelerate after clearing the intersection.

Back