Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

So, does anybody think we'll actually ever see anything resembling this render?

Metro line expansion.jpg

So, does anybody think we'll actually ever see anything resembling this render?

View attachment 259961
From what I understand, the streets and bike lanes are within the scope of this project, so at the very least we should hopefully see this public realm come to be? Only risk is the development and how long it takes to start up?

I just really hope beige-and-salmon stucco can be banned, and that EFG and GMH retire before development begins in earnest here. At least BCM is not likely to be around much longer.

In all seriousness, this being a TOD means it would be subject to EDC review. While that doesn't guarantee good architecture, it doesn't least help ensure a good public realm.

I really hope that we see this kind of low to mid-rise development around the stations and main corridors in Blatchford! This would give this community such a walkable European-esc feel and would be on of the most interesting areas of the city because of it :)

I hope that after working on Blatchford West they can move to Blatchford East and start adding some density around the future stations. 5 years is a decent chunk of time to start doing that but still...

@Freedm I think it depends on how you look at it. We are still in the very first stage of Blatchford and these first house sales are gonna be relatively slow, but I believe that as more sections of the neighborhood are designed are built (especially around the LRT stations!) we will start to see exponential growth in the pace of construction and overall interest in the area :)

C.1 Metro Line NW (City of Edmonton Project)
Andrew Afonso - GEC

Motion of support with the following conditions:
● The applicant investigates sustainable initiatives within the project (i.e. green roofs, solar
photo-voltaeic panels, low impact development).
● The applicant examines the project in the context of the greater Metro Line design.
Specifically, the applicant investigates a potential mutable kit of parts (i.e. design
standards) that can provide both consistency and adaptation to specific sites and the
broader community contexts.
● The applicant further builds on the aspects of each character zone, existing and proposed,
along the alignment of the Metro Line. This can be expressed through various urban
design components, such as materials, planting, furnishings and features.
● The applicant ensures winter and cold weather protection is incorporated into the design
of this and future stations and elements.
● The applicant continues to integrate access design guidelines (i.e. paving, lighting,
materiality). These interfaces need to better negotiate between the varied users including
pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.

CARRIED

Back