Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Snapped these pics of this beauty earlier today

20201219_131846.jpg
20201219_132013.jpg

20201219_132027.jpg

Yes Ian, I’m well aware I live a block away. It’s just the continued vandalism that makes me wonder why this is a target. Even when the car show room was in there it frequently had the windows damaged. Someone with a grudge perhaps?

Does anyone have any history on this building they could share? I know it was Healy Ford until about a decade ago. Was it really a Massey Ferguson dealership at one point? Right smack in downtown Edm?

Does anyone have any history on this building they could share? I know it was Healy Ford until about a decade ago. Was it really a Massey Ferguson dealership at one point? Right smack in downtown Edm?

Yup. Massey Harris Co. of Canada was a major farm implements manufacturer and wholesaler. For decades the company operated out of a small and relatively inaccessible building located at the intersection of 101A Avenue and 100A Street. By the end of the Second World War they were desperate for a more modern showroom, so built this building in 1947-48.

It's important to remember, that at the time, this wasn't downtown per se. It was the middle of a warehouse district. With rail spurs nearby it allowed for their product to be easily shipped in, displayed, and shipped out.

The company merged with the British Ferguson Brown Co. In 1953 to form the Massey Harris Ferguson Co. They retained the building for several decades before it was eventually purchased by Healy Ford for use as a car dealership.

The building itself represents one of the first significant Edmonton commissions to make use of the International form. Its asymmetrical composition, with off-centred horizontal windows, surface mounted flagpole, and service stairwell on its west wall, is noteworthy.
Yup. Best explained by Mr. Kaba.

^Unfortunately, it seems as though Mr. Kaba's work is responsible for one long standing misconception about the building's history: its architects weren't Blakey & Blakey, they were Rule, Wynn & Rule. Sadly, this misattribution's seeped into both news articles about the building and the City's very own Inventory of Historic Resources. (Not trying to pooh-pooh on Kaba's or Capital Modern's work at all, it was a truly excellent project, just putting it out there.)

Last edited:
Unfortunately early Modern commercial and public buildings have been remodeled, usually in terrible 80s or 90s fashion or are in really bad shape so that many people just see them as ugly brick boxes, hope more people could appreciate the simplicity and appeal of form that follows function. I hope this building can be incorporated into something similar to what was initially proposed. Love Capital Modern, it has inspired many bike rides and coffee drives.

This project breaks my heart the most in terms of a brilliant design in a great location that has yet to move forward and probably won't for a while. With 3 towers for the block even just seeing one part of it move forward would have a great start, especially the college rental apartments. I'd have killed to stay in a cool apartment across the street from class... Instead I ended up spending 4.5 years at MacEwan shuttling back and forth between Montrose, Jasper Place and the downtown campus... I don't ever want to have anyone experience that again... UGH...

Back