J123 | 99.06m | 30s | Streamliner | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
From what I understand, Oliver Exchange in of itself was a risk on the part of Beljan, and hasn't made them that much money. One of the main drivers for Beljan was making a legacy project and having an impact on an up-and-coming neighborhood, which we can see definitely worked. Beljan is really a testament to a local company doing strategic moves and making an amazing name and reputation for themselves (which they very much deserve for raising the development standards of Edmonton)
Oliver Exchange does well. But I can say that many of their projects (especially adaptive reuse/heritage projects) come with a lot of risk and are costly. Many of the projects they do are fuelled by vision, passion and an unbridled love for this city. Regardless each project has to 'float' financially, but they are tough.

The locals have the edge, for they have long rapport history. They know their market. Don't tell me some one from TO is going to know the back alley routes that only locals will. If they move in, try 20 years before they become established with any hurdles from locals.

The locals have the edge, for they have long rapport history. They know their market. Don't tell me some one from TO is going to know the back alley routes that only locals will. If they move in, try 20 years before they become established with any hurdles from locals.
It'll always be easier for local companies to understand the city, no one is denying that. But I am starting to get a sense that there's a heavy resistance from some in this forum, against outside developers, even if they were to succeed.

Honestly, wouldn't be so bad if some developers from Vancouver or Toronto decided to build here, and bring in the high design standards that they have (and so very few of our developers seem to even think about).

It'll always be easier for local companies to understand the city, no one is denying that. But I am starting to get a sense that there's a heavy resistance from some in this forum, against outside developers, even if they were to succeed.

Honestly, wouldn't be so bad if some developers from Vancouver or Toronto decided to build here, and bring in the high design standards that they have (and so very few of our developers seem to even think about).
It would be great if developers from Vancouver and Toronto actually built here, if we were to see well designed buildings pop up and succeed that would be an obvious big win.

The animosity from some comes from the fact that they never actually successfully build anything, just demo and then put up a for sale sign.

While our local developers may end up cutting corners sometimes, and the designs look bland, we really have to appreciate what they do. Almost every tower built in Edmonton comes from a local wanting to improve our city, working on a tight budget and going project to project, its honestly really impressive what they've achieved thus far. Of course this is a forum to discuss buildings and general design etc so we (myself included) throw shade around at them from time to time (some well deserved, @Regency) but the reality is if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have much.

There is no resistance. We just heard those DRUM BEATS before. Healy Ford and Lamb's 'Jasper House ' were the last two to partake. Bring your messiah to me; I demand more towers in my core!

There is no resistance. We just heard those DRUM BEATS before. Healy Ford and Lamb's 'Jasper House ' were the last two to partake. Bring your messiah to me; I demand more towers in my core!
I agree, it is not so much resistance but that there is some recent history of people from far away coming in with a lot of flash and then nothing happening.

One of my issues is the underlying Edmonton sense of inferiority, but we really don't necessarily desperately need outsiders to come in and improve things. We have some very good developers locally and nearby who have done good work and I feel they will continue to do so. They are probably also quite capable of visiting other places and considering things done elsewhere to get good ideas, if needed.

I am not against someone from elsewhere coming in and I know there are good developers elsewhere too, but it really helps if they have a fairly good understanding of Edmonton or try to get that, before coming in guns a blazing.

20240330_154806.jpg

I mean it's looking pretty good now, I wouldn't be surprised if this lot gets sold and developed sooner rather than later 🤷‍♂️

Back