J123 | 99.06m | 30s | Streamliner | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
An amazing site for the right/qualified owner. Sadly, this was another example (see Frank Oliver Park on Jasper 99, MacKenzie Tower 104st, Healy Site, Century Park partner etc.) who simply didn't due enough due diligence of our marketplace.

In this case, the developer 'was sold on Edmonton' and had bullish hopes, but when they got into the market fundamentals (keep in mind that they are from Toronto), they were astounded at what was before them and closed up shop.

In this case, the developer 'was sold on Edmonton' and had bullish hopes, but when they got into the market fundamentals (keep in mind that they are from Toronto), they were astounded at what was before them and closed up shop.
Has there been an example of a developer from Toronto successfully building high rise residential here? I can think of more than a few failed attempts.

Has there been an example of a developer from Toronto successfully building high rise residential here? I can think of more than a few failed attempts.
I think their expectations for margins are probably surreal. Building costs here are probably not that much lower than Toronto, but prices (either rentals or condos) are 3-5x higher.

I will bet that we'll see more success from Toronto developers here in a few years (give it a decade or so), when economics start making more sense for them, compared to potential profits elsewhere.

Sadly, this was another example (see Frank Oliver Park on Jasper 99, MacKenzie Tower 104st, Healy Site, Century Park partner etc.) who simply didn't due enough due diligence of our marketplace.
And another example of the city and its processes allowing demolition of a completely useable building, no work being done, then having the owner abandon the project leaving it an empty site.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me over and over and over and over again, shame on the city for allowing this to continue.

What it reminds us and should highlight for us all is that the development business/game is risky, complicated and HARD.

What it reminds us and should highlight for us all is that the development business/game is risky, complicated and HARD.
In this particular case, Ian, I think it's just a matter of mismatched expectations. I doubt that there was no money to be made. Just not as much as they'd like, considering their other prospects in other cities.

Maybe Westrich, Edgar or Cidex will scoop this site up? Edgar seems to love the area right now.

If not them, how about Beljan? Even though @cmd uw is no longer there, it seems everything they touch turns to gold. And I'd say it was their Oliver Exchange projects that got the ball rolling for this neighborhood.

I feel like this site is most suitable for a tower.

If Beljian were to build one I think (and hope) they would move forward with The Hive first, Cidex has a property for sale adjacent to this one (Hat @124) and is focusing on their Strathcona project right now. Edgar would probably be interested given its proximity to their mercury block projects and The MacLaren but they too have their hands tied with Mercury Block 2 and my hope is once the Warehouse District Park is complete they'll want to get a move on The Shift.

Westrich could be interesting, I'm actually going to put my vote for MacLab, love the work they do and they are just wrapping up their Garneau project now.

In this particular case, Ian, I think it's just a matter of mismatched expectations. I doubt that there was no money to be made. Just not as much as they'd like, considering their other prospects in other cities.

Opportunity cost for sure, but I had a good chat with the developer and it really was glaring how mismatched and misinformed things were.

I think their expectations for margins are probably surreal. Building costs here are probably not that much lower than Toronto, but prices (either rentals or condos) are 3-5x higher.

I will bet that we'll see more success from Toronto developers here in a few years (give it a decade or so), when economics start making more sense for them, compared to potential profits elsewhere.
Somehow other companies, not from Toronto, are building various things in this area. I do think local companies or those from places closer by generally have a better understanding of our market.

Yes, it may not be as lucrative as places like Toronto, where it has seemed to be easy money in the past, but if the developers are smart and know what they are doing, projects here can be successful too.

If not them, how about Beljan? Even though @cmd uw is no longer there, it seems everything they touch turns to gold. And I'd say it was their Oliver Exchange projects that got the ball rolling for this neighborhood.
From what I understand, Oliver Exchange in of itself was a risk on the part of Beljan, and hasn't made them that much money. One of the main drivers for Beljan was making a legacy project and having an impact on an up-and-coming neighborhood, which we can see definitely worked. Beljan is really a testament to a local company doing strategic moves and making an amazing name and reputation for themselves (which they very much deserve for raising the development standards of Edmonton)

Yes, well that is another reason to support, promote and encourage local companies. A company from Toronto isn't going to be looking for legacy projects, at least probably not here.

However, if you build your name and reputation, and gain experience, even if something is not immediately financially successful, that can help lead to success in the future.

Back