News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I love Algarve (and my mom's family is from there), but sadly Portugal in itself is already a hard sell, especially if the airport does not offer too many connections afterwards.
I'd 100% use this flight one a year, tho, if it ever existed
100% agree. There are many direct flights from Faro, but very few of them use TAP which would make it more of a connection destination if served by Air Canada. In reality it is a horrible choice for expansion from Edmonton except for a travel charter airline like Transat.

See the problem is, I am
Booking a flight to Vancouver for June. So do I book flair or spend an extra $50-$100 and book westjet and not have to worry if there is more bad news to come. I feel bad doing it but I think I’m going to book westjet
According to the CBC article, the Flair CEO said "We have a mutually agreed-upon payment plan with CRA to pay these importation duties, and we are current with that plan,"

So that is somewhat reassuring.

On the topic of destinations for destinations YEG should be pursuing I know we have talked a lot about IAH which is a big gap and fits with the UA/AC alliance but after some review I think missing DFW could be considered one of the biggest gaps we have for two reasons:

1. 5th largest metro are in North America (although oddly enough we only have service to 1 (LAX) of the top 5 metros)
2. Decent flight options are quite limited given American's lack of Canadian partner you are looking at about 3 options from what I can tell with 1 connection journeys (Alaska through SEA (7+ hours), United through DEN (6 hours), or WS/DL through MSP (6.5 hours). I suppose not outlandish journey times but feels crazy we lack service to the state of Texas.

UA is a logical option and return given their additions to YYC it could be sooner than later.

How is this '10-30mil' for upfront capital costs?

This luxury bus is $1.5-2mil which even if you had 4 would be 10mil, which would permit 30minute intervals.

What else would you require?

----
The Edmonton International Airport and the Edmonton Downtown Business Association support creating a direct bus link between the region’s international airport and downtown Edmonton, according to a report due at a Feb. 6 urban planning committee meeting. Edmonton’s council requested administration to explore cost-sharing options, as it declined to fund the service during its budget deliberations in December 2022. No organizations have formally committed to a cost-sharing model. The report said the proposed service would cost between $2.5 million and $3.5 million, depending on frequency, with an upfront capital cost of between $10 million and $30 million. The city said council would need to approve funding for the route as there is no money for it in the budget. Route 747 currently runs between Century Park Transit Centre and YEG. The proposed new service would supplement the 747 route, the city said. The new route could attract more conference goers and boost the economic potential of the airport and downtown. A route could also support those who live and work near the airport, as the majority of 747 bus passengers are “regular riders” who likely work at YEG or the Premium Outlet Collection Edmonton International Airport, the city said.
-Taproot

Ok, sure, but fancy bus stops are 100-150k x 2 or 3.

I could see 10mil, but 30? Does someone have the report handy to share what those additional costs might be?

For that amount you could literally have 10 buses and 2-3 multi-mil stations.

The only 3 new routes WestJet is adding for S24, from Edmonton YEG is to Atlanta, Nashville, & San Francisco.

Back