News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

We have probably done better with what we have at this moment on Westjet metal than what Delta would be offering otherwise, if this is indeed the case. If Delta really saw an opening in the market I doubt they would pay much concern, nor would it be appropriate for Westjet to dictate their routes particularly without a joint-venture or Alliance membership.
My take is that Delta didn't think it was worth it to fight WestJet for what would've been a smaller margin than what they get with the feeding from WestJet.

But the good takeaway is that they do see potential here. Good indicator that there's the chance they'll come into Edmonton in the future.

Some of the concerns displayed about the Porter operation and it's ability to make money is the efficient deployment to maximize usage of their aircraft, particularly the E-jets are flying a good number of transcontinental flights making it tricky to get more hours. I don't think anyone is under the impression they will be establishing any sort of western hub anytime soon but I wonder if they would consider some tag on routes to increase utilization and grab some connecting pax.

I look at the flight times for the new YUL flights for example:

PD383 YUL 19:15 - YEG 21:50
PD378 YEG 08:50 - YUL 14:51

The aircraft presumably is hanging out overnight at YEG from 21:50 to 8:50. Complicates things with crews and support but one has to wonder if say they take that aircraft to do an evening hop to Kelowna say something like:

YEG 23:00 - YLW 23:30
YLW 06:00 - YEG 07:30

This would give rise to the option for Kelowna folks to connect with YEG and transfer in YEG bound for either YUL or YOW for example. Again adds complications but should be commercially viable down the road once they are getting closer to that 50-75 mark of E2 jets in the fleet. It might start with flying YEG/YYC-YVR and vice versa prior to options like YEG/YYC-YLW/YYJ but I do think we see that as the next growth opportunity for Porter out west.

Would this benefit us at all? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd Alaska flight into Sea-Tac?

My home Airport is now Faro, Portugal. Air transat has direct flights from Toronto to Faro for 649 in January and 1060 in July (high season). However, when you do a one stop connected flight from Edmonton to Faro through Toronto, the prices are 932 in January and 3370(!) in July. This is just a search done on google flights, so is it possibly an error? If not it makes zero sense. I have not checked other Air transit destinations though…

Would this benefit us at all? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd Alaska flight into Sea-Tac?
As was pointed out to me last night, Hawaiian Air is now part of Alaska. Air. so that could be of benefit as well. I did ask about increased frequency as well.

Not a ton of change for AC in summer season 2024 for YEG but looks like compared to last summer they note YYC increases to 4 daily (from 3 in 2023) and YUL will be increased to 3 daily (from 2 in 2023).

YUL is a nice bump given its hub connections.
The real strategic changes are in BC - and Saskatchewan as you can see from the news release. AC beefing up flights to thwart Porter current and future growth and slice into WS routes - even the YOW-YYC and YYC-YEG routes. I anticipate Porter will fly the YVR YYC YEG triangle soon enough and with considerable frequency.

Isn’t that the pr with AC more and more flights to their hubs and NOTHING else. With Porter and Flair offering YUL why do we really need it?
YUL is a good hub to get to a lot of places with AC. Lots of American locations like Miami and then European destinations. Flair and Porter are great to get to Montreal as a destination but we will still need multiple AC flights.

YUL is a good hub to get to a lot of places with AC. Lots of American locations like Miami and then European destinations. Flair and Porter are great to get to Montreal as a destination but we will still need multiple AC flights.
Great. Bully for YUL. Meanwhile AC offer us the minimal service possible while maintaining their market share. End of story. It is too much for them to offer IAH or ORD that way they could connect with their partner’s hubs instead of relying on them to provide service to YEG. This obviously is not part of their strategy yet people seem to be elated that they offer the same old.

Great. Bully for YUL. Meanwhile AC offer us the minimal service possible while maintaining their market share. End of story. It is too much for them to offer IAH or ORD that way they could connect with their partner’s hubs instead of relying on them to provide service to YEG. This obviously is not part of their strategy yet people seem to be elated that they offer the same old.

Agree re: IAH and ORD, but AC adding another YUL flight overall is a good thing. Unfortunately AC continues to screw us but we do, need them as offering the most flight options.

Back