News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

When you look at it, Air Canada has strong hubs in both Toronto and Montreal. If Alberta's population keeps growing as it has been both Edmonton and Calgary will be BIG cities pretty darn quick. WestJet can be successful running both Edmonton and Calgary as major hubs. Perhaps we're seeing the start of that now.

Nonstop flights to NYC can be served by JFK or LGA
LGA can't be served from YEG due to the perimeter rule which does not allow flights from further than 1,500 miles away. If we got service to New York area with Westjet it would almost certainly be JFK. Our previous service was with United to their hub at EWR.

Interesting range of 1-stop destinations available with an Atlanta connection including Lagos, Johannesburg, Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Santiago, Quito, Lima, and numerous Caribbean Islands. Some not previously available from YEG without 2 or more stops.
Flying Brazil from YEG just became a hell of a lot easier for me. No destinations there were available with a 1 stop except for São Paulo

First thing I do is visit the US airport's webpage to see corroborating evidence of any new service. Strangely, for the first time ever - none of the 3 US airports webpages have an update showing YEG as a new destination aboard WS. 🤔

First thing I do is visit the US airport's webpage to see corroborating evidence of any new service. Strangely, for the first time ever - none of the 3 US airports webpages have an update showing YEG as a new destination aboard WS. 🤔
I heard this all came about very quickly caught a lot of people by surprise.

Flights are already loaded and bookable via google flights so you have nothing to worry about, it's real.

K good! 😉. Btw, Chili’s has expanded to the old Gretzky’s patio. Doesn’t look look like such a waste now. Also, Delux Burger bar has shut down. Between the Edm tower location and this one….they’re all closed?

YEG should have an expansion of its services to the territories and Alaska. We are "the Gateway to the North" after all. I see Fort Smith, Hay River, Whitehorse and Yellowknife. Surprised not to see Iqaluit, Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. Anyone know if there's any movement on this?

K good! 😉. Btw, Chili’s has expanded to the old Gretzky’s patio. Doesn’t look look like such a waste now. Also, Delux Burger bar has shut down. Between the Edm tower location and this one….they’re all closed?
The one in St Albert is still open.

YEG should have an expansion of its services to the territories and Alaska. We are "the Gateway to the North" after all. I see Fort Smith, Hay River, Whitehorse and Yellowknife. Surprised not to see Iqaluit, Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. Anyone know if there's any movement on thisI I q
Iqaluit Loads out of YEG are Probably to low to justify it, since most come out of Ottawa. As well as cargo. I could see Whitehorse and YK. maybe Anchorage. It was nice when you could catch the flight out of YEG to YK then east to Rankin Inlet and Iqaluit. Easier day of travel instead of the overnighting in Ottawa. Also getting fed on each leg was nice.

These are the top 25 US destinations from Edmonton in 2018 per Stats Can. I've also listed which airlines serve those destinations.
  1. Las Vegas (WestJet, Flair seasonal)
  2. Los Angeles (WestJet)
  3. Phoenix (WestJet seasonal, Flair seasonal)
  4. Hawaii (WestJet seasonal to Honolulu and Maui)
  5. New York
  6. Palm Springs (WestJet seasonal)
  7. San Francisco (Air Canada, WestJet seasonal)
  8. Houston
  9. Orlando (WestJet seasonal)
  10. Seattle (Alaska, WestJet seasonal)
  11. San Diego
  12. Chicago
  13. Denver (United)
  14. Fort Lauderdale
  15. Boston
  16. Portland
  17. Washington
  18. Dallas
  19. Minneapolis (WestJet)
  20. Nashville (WestJet seasonal, Flair seasonal)
  21. Miami
  22. Tampa
  23. Atlanta (WestJet)
  24. New Orleans
  25. Philadelphia

Back