News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

interesting why is this not applicable in other previously mentioned connector cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Fran etc.
It's not applicable because it's not true. Once you do US customs at YEG you're free to roam the streets of LA after stepping off the plane, like any other US flight.

It's not applicable because it's not true. Once you do US customs at YEG you're free to roam the streets of LA after stepping off the plane, like any other US flight.
Yes. Denver or Minneapolis are probably better connectors if you are going east in the US, Seattle connects to more US places further south. So, probably only Hawaii makes sense from LA, but I suspect most Canadians go to there from Vancouver instead. So by virtue of geography, LA is more of a final destination for us, which is fine.

Sorry, what I meant to say was I think that you’d have to clear Customs in YEG and LAX if you were headed through LAX onto Asia or Australia.

Sorry, what I meant to say was I think that you’d have to clear Customs in YEG and LAX if you were headed through LAX onto Asia or Australia.

No that is not the case. You would clear customs in YEG and the third country but not in LA.

Winter Schedule? Kinda late don’t they reckon? Spring starts in 2 weeks…
The airlines call their 2023/2024 winter schedule the "winter 2023" schedule. This practice seems to be consistent throughout the industry. Strange really, since winter lasts into the next year. This is Flair's current schedule for 2023/2024 winter season.

Yes. Denver or Minneapolis are probably better connectors if you are going east in the US, Seattle connects to more US places further south. So, probably only Hawaii makes sense from LA, but I suspect most Canadians go to there from Vancouver instead. So by virtue of geography, LA is more of a final destination for us, which is fine.
fair enough - it still seems like it would be a good way to get to a number of places but I guess lots of Asia flights go through Vancouver now as well so that's why we would connect there.

When I had to travel to DC regularly Minneapolis was the best airport for connecting. I could leave here in the morning and get there by early afternoon. When I went through TO it would be after the rush hour when I would get in. Plus preclearance in TO was crap. At least in YEG the preclearance was friendly. Had a couple of flights through Denver and Salt Lake. Felt the day was longer. Salt lake was also a long layover.

Los Angeles is a wonderful connection point to Latin America (along with Phoenix) from here. This is a good thing.

Yep this is what I thought, thanks for confirming.
No problem. I find that Canadians usually only conceptualize seasonal flights to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and the like. But then there's Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Lima and more... and those flights like to connect through LAX.

No disagreement from my. But I think the original debate was centered around the low % of connection traffic which in my opinion is explained by the fact that there is less traffic from YEG to central and south America. Than say points in the US & Mexico, also LAX is a strong destination on it's own so the flight and it's timings could very well not be constructed to maximize connection opportunities.

Regardless of everything having a daily LAX is a great and important flight to have.

No disagreement from my. But I think the original debate was centered around the low % of connection traffic which in my opinion is explained by the fact that there is less traffic from YEG to central and south America. Than say points in the US & Mexico, also LAX is a strong destination on it's own so the flight and it's timings could very well not be constructed to maximize connection opportunities.

Regardless of everything having a daily LAX is a great and important flight to have.
I think it's because WestJet prices the flight high so connections end up being more economical through Toronto. Hopefully with additional capacity WestJet's pricing will start to play nice with onward flights from LAX be it Delta or another carrier.

Back