News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Los Angeles is a wonderful connection point to Latin America (along with Phoenix) from here. This is a good thing.

5-10% is the actual number that connect onward from YEG-LAX. That's not to speak to the connectivity of LAX overall, rather that YEG-LAX simply doesn't serve that purpose at present. PHX is even less.

I've noticed for the past few weeks Air Canada has been sending 2 or sometimes 3 widebodies to YEG on the Toronto route. Today for example both the 787 and A330 are inbound. I don't think this has happened much before... pretty nice to see.
Very fun to see, today AC 160 was a 788, AC168 is a 77W, and AC176 is a A333. The firs two I understand to be around half full only though.

Very fun to see, today AC 160 was a 788, AC168 is a 77W, and AC176 is a A333. The firs two I understand to be around half full only though.
Tomorrow is a 777-200 looks to be nearly sold out. I think when Air Canada does last minute substitution the plane doesn't have time to sell out

I've noticed for the past few weeks Air Canada has been sending 2 or sometimes 3 widebodies to YEG on the Toronto route. Today for example both the 787 and A330 are inbound. I don't think this has happened much before... pretty nice to see.

It’s happened previously pre pandemic times during busy periods like Christmas , Spring Holidays / during the Summer season. Toronto YYZ- Edmonton YEG- YYZ route got a mix of the A330/ Boeing 787 /777.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is a 777-200 looks to be nearly sold out. I think when Air Canada does last minute substitution the plane doesn't have time to sell out

Yep & is Junos Awards 2023 weekend in Edmonton which will bring in tourists to YEG.

Also Toronto YYZ flights ✈️ to/from Domestic, International & US will be more busy this week,as from Monday March 13 - Friday March 17 2023 in Ontario Canada is Spring Break holiday for K-12 Students. Some families are going on a 1 week Leisurely trip✅!

During the last week of March both Edmonton YEG & Calgary YYC will be “quite busy” too as Alberta’s K-12 students are on Spring Break holiday & with families also taking a Leisurely vacation.

Last edited:
fair enough - it still seems like it would be a good way to get to a number of places but I guess lots of Asia flights go through Vancouver now as well so that's why we would connect there.

Yep a lot Asia nonstop flights departing/arriving in Canada 🇨🇦,go through Vancouver YVR airport✈️ in general year round.

Good example of it : my uncle on Monday March 13 2023 is arriving from China -Xiamen XMN to Vancouver YVR on (MF) Xiamen Air & connecting onto WestJet from YVR - inbound YEG. As he’s a new immigrant moving to YEG to live.

The regularly scheduled widebody on YYZ-YEG accomplishes 2 things for Air Canada, from my perspective:

1) Significantly increased cargo volume, and larger palletized cargo that 7M8 can't carry at all. 321 can carry pallets, but obviously not what a 330 can carry

2) Consistent lie flat business class product in the face of increased competition on the route, and slowly begins to restore the faith of longtime AC elites in Edmonton

Even if they don't fill the 330 and a lot of the J fares are upgrades, AC "defending turf" on YYZ-YEG is a great sign as far as I'm concerned.

Back