News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I am weirdly happy to see they are confident to post higher prices for our flights that shows demand is good and maybe they have sold out of the promo fares. But if they can consistently charge those prices they would up frequencies so I don't know what it means really.

Westjet was running a pretty solid seat sale in the spring and I have friends who got RT tickets to Amsterdam for less than $600, so I'd certainly believe around $700 to be possible. Until a few weeks ago flights could be had for less than $850 for many dates.

Personally flew in October 2022.
Partner flew twice in 2022, and in February 2023.
A friend flew in August and December 2022.

Sorry to disappoint you.

How about that proof of direct flight under $700 out of YYC?

I'm happy anecdotally hear that, but as we all know, J-class and yields are important to longevity. Hence source.

Go to KLM's site, you can see various deals including ones under $700 for certain dates that we took advantage of. It looks like may are back up to 1000-1300 now, but they most certainly were there and YYCdeals.com (same as yegdeals.com) promoted them.

Westjet was running a pretty solid seat sale in the spring and I have friends who got RT tickets to Amsterdam for less than $600, so I'd certainly believe around $700 to be possible. Until a few weeks ago flights could be had for less than $850 for many dates.
In the spring 2022? Westjet resumed direct flights to Amsterdam only in November 2022 lol

And spring 2023 hasn’t arrived yet.

I'm happy anecdotally hear that, but as we all know, J-class and yields are important to longevity. Hence source.

Go to KLM's site, you can see various deals including ones under $700 for certain dates that we took advantage of. It looks like may are back up to 1000-1300 now, but they most certainly were there and YYCdeals.com (same as yegdeals.com) promoted them.
Ok so KLM does run promo flights, but those flights are never direct, so most likely you will have a lovely stopover in Toronto or maybe even Edmonton 🙂

More airlines providing more competition providing more options for passengers. First year university economics 101.
The funny thing is that econ 101 would suggest this will incentivize new entrants to Edmonton, dropping the market price, such that a market equilibrium is achieved. The very existence of such a disparity in pricing is unsupported by basic economics. I think the story here is how much "policy" decisions are at play in airline economics, and not purely economic reasons for offerings.

I've messaged a YEG colleague to get actual numbers and not just anecdotal evidence based on family members flying a few times. Going back to August 1, KLM YEG flights are doing well, a bit better than I expected actually. There are plenty of weeks where it beats the YYC-AMS flight on a load factor per flight basis, but note that YYC is 6-7x weekly over that time period. As we all know, all Canada-Europe ops sees a decline in winter when people instead fly to sun destinations. The YEG-AMS dropoff appears far more significant than the YYC-AMS dropoff on a per flight basis, given that WS is also operating this winter and has high LF alongside KLM. Again, the only metric I have for YEG-AMS is total pax divided by total seats... not yield, not cargo uplift (the YYC flight carries much more) or total revenue. I can't really see KLM's prebookings out of YEG with any real accuracy but my initial guess is that Condor won't actually drag them down too much.

My understanding also is that, on the days KLM does not operate to YEG, the number of YEG pax connecting in YYC for AMS is steadily increasing. I see this a positive in terms of YEG's prospect for an additional frequency to AMS, though when I previously shared a similar concept of people flying YEG-YYC-NRT it was seen as inconceivably positive for Edmonton, so take it as you will. The point remains that on the days KLM does not fly YEG-AMS, Edmontonians going to Europe have to get there somehow.

A lot of words to ultimately say that I am cautiously optimistic about YEG-Europe prospects going forward, be it additional KLM frequencies or a new entrant. At the very least, it's trending in the right direction.

Last edited:

Back