News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I don't think so. WestJet is basically having daily fire sales for all of their euro routes out of YYC, for example.
Then they'd re-launch the Euro routes out of YEG if it were such a lucrative market. YEG-MSP doesn't really change the throughput coming southbound on WS238 and WS242.

Nobody is denying the strength of the YEG market, we deny the idea that a large city cannot serve as a spoke to a hub, and YEG will continue to be that regardless of this announcement. As I've said multiple times, YEG is not the #1 originator for the "daily fire sales" to Europe that you keep citing. The Europe operation would simply not crumble without YEG originators. Period.

they have to fly into expensive US airports to collect passengers

WestJet is #1 among all carriers in transborder load factors despite commanding some of the highest fares. I think they're doing fine in this discipline regardless of your interpretation of their transborder yields.

Last edited:
Then they'd re-launch the Euro routes out of YEG if it were such a lucrative market. YEG-MSP doesn't really change the throughput coming southbound on WS238 and WS242.

Nobody is denying the strength of the YEG market, we deny the idea that a large city cannot serve as a spoke to a hub, and YEG will continue to be that regardless of this announcement. As I've said multiple times, YEG is not the #1 originator for the "daily fire sales" to Europe that you keep citing. The Europe operation would simply not crumble without YEG originators. Period.

WestJet is #1 among all carriers in transborder load factors despite commanding some of the highest fares. I think they're doing fine in this discipline regardless of your interpretation of their transborder yields.
No, WestJet wouldn't launch YEG international, that's the point. Maybe London. Otherwise, as a matter of strategy, they simply wouldn't do so despite the market being capable of supporting it. That's our entire point.

Yep. And WestJet might not resume Calgary YYC -Amsterdam AMS next winter & leave it to KLM . As YYC -Paris CDG has a good chance at operating next winter season?

But will see, when it gets closer to next winter schedule announcements/ updates for WS.

Interesting. I wouldn't think flying to AMS in winter would be that much of a draw versus the summer.

The Europe operation would simply not crumble without YEG originators.

I wonder how many people in the Edmonton region still drive to Calgary for certain US or transborder flights. I take it they wouldn't count as YEG originators?

I remember at one time there was a campaign to stop people from doing that - is that still an issue?

I wonder how many people in the Edmonton region still drive to Calgary for certain US or transborder flights. I take it they wouldn't count as YEG originators?

I remember at one time there was a campaign to stop people from doing that - is that still an issue?
Anecdotally yes it still happens. But with the major ULCC presence at YEG I would suspect YEG is also drawing drive in traffic from places further afield. It's a two way street. What YEG needs to do is make its offerings so compelling that it sees a large number of people driving in to take advantage. The start of this is present with the Premium Outlets and the ULCC options, but it could be expanded further.

Speaking of Porter I see they have a fairly robust introduction to Edmonton on their website. I noted the image below though doesn't look like anywhere I have ever seen at WEM. It is such a big mall perhaps I just haven't had occasion to visit that wing of the mall just yet haha.

1676392104721.png

Speaking of Porter I see they have a fairly robust introduction to Edmonton on their website. I noted the image below though doesn't look like anywhere I have ever seen at WEM. It is such a big mall perhaps I just haven't had occasion to visit that wing of the mall just yet haha.

View attachment 456236

That is not West Edmonton mall.

View attachment 456236

Yep & in early September 2022 I saw a Flair Advertisement at West Edmonton Mall .

1676392104721~2.png
Not even close, that's The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore!
Pretty lame attempt to promote WEM.

Back