News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Edmonton – Kamloops 2x weekly (Thu, Sun) June 24, 2021
Edmonton – Penticton 2x weekly (Thu, Sun) June 24, 2021
Edmonton – Nanaimo 2x weekly (Fri, Sun) June 25, 2021

Edmonton has to demand access to international flights. Enough is enough!!!
I just don’t think it will happen with Calgary being a short connection away with superior international facilities. Add to that close proximity to Banff, one of the largest tourist sites in Canada, and there is really no real pressing reason for international carriers to service Edmonton. Edmonton is much more suited to be a regional hub like Ottawa or Halifax.

What are y'all talking about? Edmonton has international flights as far as I know 🤨

@goodcitywhenfinished Okay great, Calgary has more international flights. Doesn't mean we can't possibly achieve the same thing 🥴

I just don’t think it will happen with Calgary being a short connection away with superior international facilities. Add to that close proximity to Banff, one of the largest tourist sites in Canada, and there is really no real pressing reason for international carriers to service Edmonton. Edmonton is much more suited to be a regional hub like Ottawa or Halifax.

Huh?

Halifax - yr + seasonal

-Paris
-Frankfurt
-London
-Glasgow
-Dublin

Even Ottawa has London and Frankfurt

Calgary beat Edmonton to the punch -- that is a simple fact. Both cities employ the same polar route to Europe and so there is less need for duplication. Calgary = head office; Edmonton = blue collar. Calgary built their updated international airport first, Edmonton followed. Edmonton has better post-secondary schools and should now lean in on advanced technology to catch up and pass the rodeo capital in terms of an important City to connect to (or maybe we should just follow what Calgary is doing -- not!)

Calgary beat Edmonton to the punch -- that is a simple fact. Both cities employ the same polar route to Europe and so there is less need for duplication. Calgary = head office; Edmonton = blue collar. Calgary built their updated international airport first, Edmonton followed. Edmonton has better post-secondary schools and should now lean in on advanced technology to catch up and pass the rodeo capital in terms of an important City to connect to (or maybe we should just follow what Calgary is doing -- not!)
Good points. I think the post secondary cuts by this provincial government really hurts Edmonton.

I agree, the current UCP one seems to be on a ideological crusade and perceives Edmonton to be the enemy.

Even worse, a few Premiers ago, we had the former Mayor of Calgary who never really left that job in spirit, as Premier. He mostly just neglected Edmonton and favored his city, but he wasn't above sticking it to Edmonton when he saw the chance.

It never made sense for me that to fly to Europe, I would have to fly to Calgary, change planes and then fly back over Edmonton to go Europe. But some of those in precious city would probably throw a terrible fit if they had to stop for a half hour or so here while they remain in their seats on the same plane, to let people board.

I suspect many people from Edmonton just travel to Europe through Toronto instead. It has much better connections to Europe than Calgary anyways. Also better to connect in Vancouver if you are flying to Asia.

Agreed, and yet Calgary's mayor Nenshi does a much better job than ours in terms of playing up to anyone who will listen provincially or federally that his city is the most hard done by. I'm not knocking his approach, I just want Edmonton to get in on it, haha.

And what's interesting, the UCP doesn't need to cater much to Edmonton to get elected again, but if Notley wants to return to power, she will definitely have to promise and deliver Calgary the moon. The UCP will certainly want to hold on to its Calgary base and so focusing on retaining its current customers as opposed to attracting any new ones is likely the game plan. And again, I'm not knocking Calgary, I just want Edmonton to get in on it.

Last edited:

Back