News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Calgary YYC & Edmonton YEG were effected by ULCC Lynx Air✈️ closing down in Canada 🇨🇦. When Lynx Air was around it attracted more VFR/ Leisure passengers for both airports✅.

Lynx Air shutting down didn’t have a huge impact on Toronto YYZ, Vancouver YVR & Montreal YUL as there are more airlines serving them & there’s more airline competition able to fill the gap on certain routes.

Lynx shutting down had almost no effect on YEG. We only had a once daily red eye to YYZ.

I don't disagree with the importance of retaining and attracting more connecting traffic, but back to my previous point - both major Alberta airports have had fairly low growth this year as compared to elsewhere in Canada.

So, there seems to be something more going on here now.
One or more
1. % of Disposable income in Albert’a is less than past years compared to the rest of Canada?
2. AC WS F8 seat availability on some routes reduced/cancelled comparatively
3. The airlines have pissed off people so much they know what should be a great flying experience has become a nightmare so avoid any air travel
4. Airlines fares and ancillary fees to fly have increased faster than wages
5. Seat pitch is being reduced by WS - becoming a straight jacket
6. AC WS Monopoly exists driving shareholder profit and soon flying will be out of reach for the majority of Canadians

Couldn't agree more. Both vacays this Summer have been travel hell. Taking the next few years off of flying anywhere. ZERO value in any airline, airport/airport restaurant, parking, transportation to and from airports and car rental experiences have all been less memorable. Never mind the actual city: Seattle is a dump - we're so done with that city. Scottsdale was ok, with the exception of the heat, prices are through the roof, no one takes cash anymore. Restaurant experiences are terrible due to being under-staffed and ALWAYS sandwiched in a section with dirty tables and shitty service. All gas stations/convenience stores - always getting hustled by the local scumbags, I got hustled 4 times in a 7/11 in Vegas last year. Cost me an extra $10 to get out of the store alive and with my wallet in tow. Don't even get me started on the overpriced crap hole that Vegas has become........
One or more
1. % of Disposable income in Albert’a is less than past years compared to the rest of Canada?
3. The airlines have pissed off people so much they know what should be a great flying experience has become a nightmare so avoid any air travel
6. AC WS Monopoly exists driving shareholder profit and soon flying will be out of reach for the majority of Canadians

Couldn't agree more. Both vacays this Summer have been travel hell. Taking the next few years off of flying anywhere. ZERO value in any airline, airport/airport restaurant, parking, transportation to and from airports and car rental experiences have all been less memorable. Never mind the actual city: Seattle is a dump - we're so done with that city. Scottsdale was ok, with the exception of the heat, prices are through the roof, no one takes cash anymore. Restaurant experiences are terrible due to being under-staffed and ALWAYS sandwiched in a section with dirty tables and shitty service. All gas stations/convenience stores - always getting hustled by the local scumbags, I got hustled 4 times in a 7/11 in Vegas last year. Cost me an extra $10 to get out of the store alive and with my wallet in tow. Don't even get me started on the overpriced crap hole that Vegas has become........
After all the horror stories I have heard mostly about about the airlines, I took the last year or so off from traveling. If I am spending money I want an enjoyable experience or at least one that I can be confident will be ok and will not somehow turn into a horrible disaster. In some popular tourist places there has been for a while an indifference/taking for granted visitors I have noticed that in some has now grown into hostility. I am sure there are reasons for this, but again I do not want to spend money for a such negative experience.

It is still somewhat puzzling that Alberta with its supposedly strong economy and high disposable income is not experiencing more increase in air travel now. The departure of Lynx explains part of it, and maybe the expansion of Porter has provided more of a boost in parts of eastern Canada. Also perhaps we were faster to recover than there and now things are slowing down (or not growing as much) for all the reasons mentioned.

Anecdotally, a number of people I know also continued the COVID summer trend of traveling more locally (ex. camping and road trips nearby lakes or parks) this year. We can have a nice summer here, so maybe it is better to take more advantage of it and leave the longer trips for other times of the year.

The 195-e2 is a really, really nice plane. The front two sections are awesome, 'the back' is good.

Food options were better than rivals, the pre-mixed cocktails delicious and staff very friendly.

The 195-e2 is a really, really nice plane. The front two sections are awesome, 'the back' is good.

Food options were better than rivals, the pre-mixed cocktails delicious and staff very friendly.
BIL works for Porter so he adjusted our flights after we booked. Sounds like possible front section.

IMG_2075.png

One or more

Yes , just a day ago I was on very full Rider Express bus 3:10pm Thursday August 22 departure from Vancouver ,with 50+ passengers onboard all the way to Calgary. It arrived 1 hour late at 7:30 am Friday August 23rd, which half the bus passengers had connections on the 8am bus from Calgary heading to Edmonton/ Saskatchewan & Manitoba.

Some are choosing to take the bus to avoid flying✈️ in Western Canada 🇨🇦. https://riderexpress.ca/.

Wow, that's impressive, is there no direct Vancouver/Edmonton bus yet?

As for the reasons, costs, the flight itself in steerage like conditions, and the inevitable snafu's that have not exactly been properly handled in the past, or all three?

Wow, that's impressive, is there no direct Vancouver/Edmonton bus yet?

As for the reasons, costs, the flight itself in steerage like conditions, and the inevitable snafu's that have not exactly been properly handled in the past, or all three?
Interesting, if so there may be a shift back to going by bus which may partly explain the Calgary weak air travel growth. I also don't understand why no direct Vancouver/Edmonton bus yet, but perhaps that will happen soon.

However then you would think eastern Canada with distances between major places generally being closer and also having decent rail service between some of them would then have weaker air travel growth too.

Greyhound operated an Edmonton/Vancouver bus route years ago. It took about 12 or 13 hours via the Yellowhead, which was about the same as a private vehicle.

Another tough month for July. I am hoping to see a domestic rebound at some point as we have lost a lot of offerings in the terminal (Delux Burger, Wayne Gretzkys, Heineken Lounge, Starbucks (By gate 62/64). Still some options but really missing a few fast food options (Burgers & Subs for instance).

Monthly passenger stats July 2024​

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 721,035 passengers (Year-to-date 4,052,189 passengers) 1.2% (Year-to-date 1.5%)
  • Domestic 618,836 passengers (Year-to-date 3,174,702 passengers) -3.1% (Year-to-date -2.7%)
  • Transborder 84,667 passengers (Year-to-date 535,897 passengers) 58% (Year-to-date 23.9%)
  • International 17,532 passengers (Year-to-date 341,590 passengers) -12.4% (Year-to-date 14%)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

• 59,246 passengers (Year-to-date 378,182 passengers) 30.4% (Year-to-date 13.9%)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)
  • 780,281 passengers (Year-to-date 4,430,371 passengers) 2.9% (Year-to-date 2.4%)

Another tough month for July. I am hoping to see a domestic rebound at some point as we have lost a lot of offerings in the terminal (Delux Burger, Wayne Gretzkys, Heineken Lounge, Starbucks (By gate 62/64). Still some options but really missing a few fast food options (Burgers & Subs for instance).

We definitely need more fast food type places post-security. A Triple O’s like YVR or even A&W/Subway would be nice. Also a McCafe like in YUL.

Back