News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

2024 half year passenger totals at Canada's busiest:

YYZ 22.6 million +6.2%
YVR 12,597,563 +7.3%
YUL 10,657,069 +8.6%
YYC 8,789,143 +3.55%
YEG 3,650,153 +2.3%
YOW 2,199,850 +12.6%
YWG 2,004,128 +3.7%
YHZ 1,764,698 +7.4%

imageedit_3_9790431006.png

Theoretically i believe the XLR (which is the eventual plan for YOW) can made the YEG-LHR mission. Maybe a seasonal option but indeed there really isn't a clear path to a London route for YEG. Westjet showing no plans for widebody growth anytime soon. British Airways maybe most likely although still pretty far fetched.

YYZ 22.6 million +6.2%
YVR 12,597,563 +7.3%
YUL 10,657,069 +8.6%
YYC 8,789,143 +3.55%
YEG 3,650,153 +2.3%
YOW 2,199,850 +12.6%
YWG 2,004,128 +3.7%
YHZ 1,764,698 +7.4%
Interesting how the other major Alberta airport is only slightly ahead of us. Not sure what is going on, but much of the rest of the country seems to be traveling a lot more this year, except Alberta.

YYZ 22.6 million +6.2%
YVR 12,597,563 +7.3%
YUL 10,657,069 +8.6%
YYC 8,789,143 +3.55%
YEG 3,650,153 +2.3%
YOW 2,199,850 +12.6%
YWG 2,004,128 +3.7%
YHZ 1,764,698 +7.4%

Interesting how the other major Alberta airport is only slightly ahead of us. Not sure what is going on, but much of the rest of the country seems to be traveling a lot more this year, except Alberta.
One of the other factors that plays a large part in those numbers is connecting passengers.

While AC has always had garbage service at YEG, the number of connections at YEG from AC has declined. For example, there used to be a passengers who would fly through YEG to get to YMM or YQU. Given AC's complete lack of service in YEG, there are virtually no connecting passengers. Likewise with AC's pullback in YYC, now connections are limited to just WJ. I dont even know how WJ uses YEG in terms of a connector but I feel with all the "growth" WJ has had in Edmonton I believe most of their connections are still routed through YYC.

On the flip side, YOW now that it is hubbed thanks to Porter and has also seen a substantial increase in routes thanks to AC is now seeing a 12.6% increase.

YEG's 2.3% growth is likely reflective of organic travel increase in the Edmonton market, and given that AC continues to cut flights from Edmonton, does not use Edmonton as a connector, and WJ's continued reliance on YYC reinforces my belief that YEG is Canada's largest regional airport (which YEG management seems all too content with according to their latest master plan, which is a discussion for another post).

Theoretically i believe the XLR (which is the eventual plan for YOW) can made the YEG-LHR mission. Maybe a seasonal option but indeed there really isn't a clear path to a London route for YEG. Westjet showing no plans for widebody growth anytime soon. British Airways maybe most likely although still pretty far fetched.
The prevailing wisdom is AC would not waste a valuable LHR slot on a narrow body. Remains to be seen.
From the interviews I have seen they seem to be focused on YUL to places in Europe and N Africa for example.

Makes sense given the yield potential, but I strongly believe that 772 would work.

One of the other factors that plays a large part in those numbers is connecting passengers.

While AC has always had garbage service at YEG, the number of connections at YEG from AC has declined. For example, there used to be a passengers who would fly through YEG to get to YMM or YQU. Given AC's complete lack of service in YEG, there are virtually no connecting passengers. Likewise with AC's pullback in YYC, now connections are limited to just WJ. I dont even know how WJ uses YEG in terms of a connector but I feel with all the "growth" WJ has had in Edmonton I believe most of their connections are still routed through YYC.

On the flip side, YOW now that it is hubbed thanks to Porter and has also seen a substantial increase in routes thanks to AC is now seeing a 12.6% increase.

YEG's 2.3% growth is likely reflective of organic travel increase in the Edmonton market, and given that AC continues to cut flights from Edmonton, does not use Edmonton as a connector, and WJ's continued reliance on YYC reinforces my belief that YEG is Canada's largest regional airport (which YEG management seems all too content with according to their latest master plan, which is a discussion for another post).

Yes, with 8 million+ passengers through Calgary YYC for the 1st half of 2024, about 4 million+ are (connecting passengers).

Of the 3 million+ passengers Edmonton YEG has had so far in the 1st half . Up to
1million+ are (connecting passengers) .

Not surprising why YYC leads YEG in passenger traffic - big reason is connecting passengers✅.

I don't disagree with the importance of retaining and attracting more connecting traffic, but back to my previous point - both major Alberta airports have had fairly low growth this year as compared to elsewhere in Canada.

So, there seems to be something more going on here now.

I don't disagree with the importance of retaining and attracting more connecting traffic, but back to my previous point - both major Alberta airports have had fairly low growth this year as compared to elsewhere in Canada.

So, there seems to be something more going on here now.

Calgary YYC & Edmonton YEG were effected by ULCC Lynx Air✈️ closing down in Canada 🇨🇦. When Lynx Air was around it attracted more VFR/ Leisure passengers for both airports✅.

Lynx Air shutting down didn’t have a huge impact on Toronto YYZ, Vancouver YVR & Montreal YUL as there are more airlines serving them & there’s more airline competition able to fill the gap on certain routes.

Last edited:

Back