News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

That’s why I’m asking about the night arrival long walk and wait...there’s gotta be an reasonable explanation. I don’t want to believe that it’s just stupidity. Edit: little more info...it’s usually west jet from Toronto specifically. This time was an AirFrance flight number last time would have been Azores Airlines.

As for Brazil, I’ve wanted to do Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Iguaçu ever since my last time in Brazil 15 years ago... probably have to wait another 15 now... We have family in Portugal and Croatia, so those are the priorties most years...

We have family in Portugal and Croatia, so those are the priorties most years...
Ooooo Croatia you say? What area is your family from? My dad's side is from the north end of the country on the Slovenian border and my mom's is from the south in Hercegovina.

Last edited:
I’m the Portugal side lol. Mom from São Miguel, Açores and dad from the north in mainland Portugal. My husband was born in Bosnia to a Serbian mom and Croatian dad so had to move to Croatia because of the war. They’re from near the Hungarian border... east side I guess? people are always jealous when we say we are going to Croatia but he’s from like the Stony plain of Croatia...not the yachts and glamour side Lol

Thats why we alternate Portugal and Croatia. We rarely get to choose a vacation to a new place lol

My buddy just returned from Montreal on a morning flight and had the opposite experience - he actually commented that it was the 'perfect' flight from his departure down east to getting off the plane at EIA and his baggage was ready to pick up when he got to the carousel.

My experience as well, just returned from Toronto this week. I find EIA to be one of the more efficient airports when it comes to baggage retrieval. Ottawa and Toronto were quite slow this go around, but that could also be due to EIA being less busy?

International non-stop flights return to Edmonton International Airport​

Good news here about Flair's S22 schedule extension. More growth ahead.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 6.33.23 PM.png

Sun seekers ready for non-stop take off

EIA-Sun-Destinitations-1024x576.jpg

A non-stop flight to Las Vegas departed EIA at 0800, via WestJet. It was the first direct flight to the United States from EIA since January 31. It marks the gradual return of international service happening this fall as airlines begin rebuilding their networks and capacity following the impacts of the global pandemic. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines already resumed service to Amsterdam on Aug. 19. By the end of 2021, 20 international destinations will be added to EIA’s network, for a total of 45 destinations. This compares to 52 destinations serviced before the start of the pandemic.

The network rebuilding is really a pain haha. My wife and I have had flights changed twice with WJ, both requiring us to beg employers for changes to vacation days as accommodations are already booked. Trying to be sympathetic to the challenges airlines are facing, but the route changes are so frustrating

2016 - 2017 - 2018 - 2019 - 2020
YYC
Total, cargo loaded and unloaded 74,529.0 86,288.3 85,182.9 88,863.7 79,492.2
YHM
Total, cargo loaded and unloaded 109,869.2 97,998.4 105,756.2 97,882.7 121,749.7
YHZ
Total, cargo loaded and unloaded 26,631.2 27,793.5 28,111.1 25,120.2 19,784.6
YWG
Total, cargo loaded and unloaded 84,241.4 61,543.3 57,765.8 58,162.7 59,718.5
YEG
Total, cargo loaded and unloaded 25,872.6 27,168.0 28,247.3 26,973.2 27,112.0

Nice post. I didn't realize where YEG ranked compared to other cities - I thought we might be higher.
I wonder why Winnipeg had such a big drop off after 2016 - although it still has twice our volume.

Something is not right. The StatCan chart shows Edmonton at 27,112.00 metric tons for 2020 while EIA state in a Press Release Feb 2021 wrt to cargo expansion funding from the Feds it was 46,000.00 tons for 2020. EIA might want to clarify with Stats Canada.

"EIA’s cargo operations were critical for the Edmonton region in 2020. Last year, the Airport and its cargo partners handled 46,000 metric tons of cargo, a 7.5 per cent increase from 2019. This included medical PPE supplies as well as increases in e-commerce. These flights involve multiple private companies based at the airport who provide loading, unloading and freight forwarding services. Each flight supports private-sector jobs and helps attract investment. EIA is the only airport in Canada with the globally recognized CEIV Pharma certification from the International Air Transport Association. This means we meet the highest standards in the world for handling temperature-sensitive cargo such as agriculture and food products as well as pharmaceutical and medical cargo."

In an effort to reach airport management and the Board on my personal concerns over YEG's continued decline in air service since well before the pandemic, I have penned and sent the letter below. I am sharing with this forum and encourage others to reach out as well.

I would like to begin by thanking the Board and management for your service and commitment to ensuring the health and safety of all passengers during the pandemic. I have utilized the airport on a few occasions recently and truly feel that my health and safety were the utmost priority.

I am writing to the Board and management to flag my concern with the decline of airline relationships and key global routes that service EIA and its customers. This concern has been negatively impacting the greater Edmonton region for several years even before COVID-19 and has disadvantageously positioned EIA and the Edmonton region at risk of not reaching its full economic recovery potential in a post-pandemic and increasingly competitive world.

In EIA’s Airport City Fact Sheet, EIA notes that air service is “at the core of our business”. While I acknowledge positive strides have been made such as the retention of KLM to Amsterdam and the establishment of Flair’s operational base, I am more concerned than ever about EIA’s emerging relegation to a large regional and LCC airport. This disappointing trend is evident when considering the following:

• From 2015 to 2019, annual passenger totals remained relatively flat fluctuating around ~8.0MM passengers, yet transborder passengers declined (21%) from 1.2MM to 0.97MM and international passengers declined (15%) from 526K to 450K while domestic passengers increased 13% from 5.5MM to 6.2MM
    • For perspective, the combined decline in transborder and international passengers (333K) was more than offset by the increase in domestic passengers (710K)
  • In that same time frame the airport lost key global air service connections to LAX and DFW on American Airlines; SFO, ORD, EWR on United Airlines; LHR on Air Canada, SEA on Delta Airlines; and experienced reductions in seats or frequencies to other key global routes
  • Unprosperous public relationships with airline partners over the past several years demonstrating unconstructive developments or outlooks
    • Air Canada Vice President Derek Vanstone’s 2013 comments regarding disappointment towards EIA with regards to the LHR route and Icelandair before canceling the route in 2015
    • Air Canada’s reference to Edmonton as a secondary city in 2019 concerning A220 use
    • American Airlines June 2021 announcement of 80 years of service in Canada with commitments to continued or expanded air service in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax, Quebec City, and Ottawa
    • Delta Airlines withdrawal from Edmonton after several decades of route service to MSP
    • Air Canada’s lack of long-term commitment to key domestic routes such as Saskatoon, Regina, Kelowna, or Victoria, for example
I acknowledge that I am not privy to non-public discussion and the above is based on public information and observations; however, as a concerned frequent user of EIA and by virtue of the declining state of air service at EIA, a now supporter of connecting in Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to learn how the Board and management plan to strategically position the airport to reverse the decline in air service and improve relationships with our biggest airline partners, especially Air Canada. Additionally, I encourage the Board and management to recognize the bigger picture impact my concern has on the Edmonton regions future post-pandemic economic development.

Back