News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Want to reach PM Trudeau and send a message about removing the blockade of international flights at Edmonton Airport? Here is the weblink. It will take you 1 minute to complete a text and send. Surely you can spare 1 minute!

Done! Thanks

The same can be done with the province who should be advocating for the opening.

Air Canada is really not getting in on the YEG-BC action this summer.

WestJet:
westjet.gif

Flair:
flair.gif

Swoop:
swoop.gif

CMA:
CMA.gif

Air Canada:
AC.gif

Air Canada is really not getting in on the YEG-BC action this summer

Air Canada:
View attachment 332210
It is pathetic isn't it considering taxpayers in this Region bailed AC out numerous times. Best thing to do is avoid AC unless you want to fly through Vancouver or Calgary to connect into Victoria or any place in BC or Yukon.

It's not the player, it's the game.

Hubs, yields/business travel, competitiveness, in-bound traffic/secondary destination demand, opportunity cost all play a part in why we have what we have.

I’m a bit out of the loop here but wouldn’t Edmonton being the 5th or 6th largest CMA be more attractive for airlines to some degree? I know there’s also the opportunity for future international flights based on immigrant communities here but kinda confused tbh
Edmonton is currently the 5th largest CMA and not far behind the 4th one Calgary. The recent released data from Alberta Finance (June) has relied on Alberta's projections before Calgary took a thrashing from oil patch woes and covid and Edmonton to a lesser extent. We will not see what "real" growth trend is until the next Federal census (2021 and you should participate here: https://census.gc.ca/index-eng.htm) is released in 2027 and/or until Alberta provides more meaningful population data and estimates (imo) by CMA. Alberta appears to suppress population estimates for CMA in the report - showing every town and village and not correlating to the StatsCan CMA. StatCanada provide CMA estimates the last one for July 1st 2020. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1710013501

As to flights, particularly international - indeed Edmonton is getting screwed over by (1) Air Canada and (2) Westjet and in that order.

Wow, this is a shot in the gut.
I was excited to hear Edmonton-based Flair starting up flights to US destinations this fall.

And then I read the article and it says this:
Flair will offer its new U.S. routes out of Halifax, Montreal, Kitchener, Ont., Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa and Abbotsford, B.C.

Wow, this is a shot in the gut.
I was excited to hear Edmonton-based Flair starting up flights to US destinations this fall.

And then I read the article and it says this:
Flair will offer its new U.S. routes out of Halifax, Montreal, Kitchener, Ont., Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa and Abbotsford, B.C.

It would be nice to have discount options from Edmonton to sun destinations , by why is this a shot in the gut? Every time Westjet expands routes that don't include Calgary, I don't see any handwringing about how the city is being left behind.

I'd like more flight options, but I am absolutely thrilled that an Edmonton-based carrier is looking to increase market share across the country. Hopefully they succeed and need even more head office jobs here in the future!

It would be nice to have discount options from Edmonton to sun destinations , by why is this a shot in the gut? Every time Westjet expands routes that don't include Calgary, I don't see any handwringing about how the city is being left behind.

I'd like more flight options, but I am absolutely thrilled that an Edmonton-based carrier is looking to increase market share across the country. Hopefully they succeed and need even more head office jobs here in the future!
I agree with you, partially.

It is a shot in the gut because YEG is currently poor in international destinations and having our homegrown carrier expand these flights, especially from YYC, which is too close to home, is gut wrenching. I can't see WestJet opening a new international route here but not in Calgary, for example.

But it is good that they're expanding and making their name across the country. Let's just hope that they don't decide to relocate once they're big enough, just like a lot of Edmonton-born companies did (Shaw, Telus, anyone?)

I agree with you, partially.

It is a shot in the gut because YEG is currently poor in international destinations and having our homegrown carrier expand these flights, especially from YYC, which is too close to home, is gut wrenching. I can't see WestJet opening a new international route here but not in Calgary, for example.

But it is good that they're expanding and making their name across the country. Let's just hope that they don't decide to relocate once they're big enough, just like a lot of Edmonton-born companies did (Shaw, Telus, anyone?)
I've flown Flair several times and I'd love to see them grow in Edmonton, but I'd like even more for them to be as financially successful as possible. If that means targeting routes from Toronto to maximize profits, for example, so be it.

The success of Flair brings all kinds of jobs to their headquarters, like HR, training, legal, accounting, etc. YYC is an important airport not just because it is a Westjet hub, but also because corporate decisions get made there and the financial success of routes in Ontario or Quebec fuel the airline's growth in Calgary.

Don't be afraid to accept good news -- starting an airline is exceptionally difficult and it is a huge vote of confidence that Flair is based here.

Back