News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

YHZ for comparison to YEG

yhz21.png

https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...om-halifax-yhz
YHZ connectivity with Europe is certainly a child of narrow body aircraft development. The A321LR/XLR will definitely have an impact on future route development.

Not that I expect them here given their geographic focus, but...

---
Canada remains an integral part of American's international network. The carrier has provided critical service during the pandemic from four airports: Calgary (YYC), Montreal (YUL), Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR). Three additional stations, Halifax (YHZ), Quebec (YQB) and Ottawa (YOW), are scheduled to resume operations in Spring 2022.

TransPods "starting with a 20-kilometre stretch between downtown Edmonton and the Edmonton airport by 2031" Interesting the Study Document which can be download shows possible routes and 3 possible stations.

Last edited:

St. Albert is kicking in $145,000, which is quite a bit less than Edmonton Global requested.
Their council argued they won't benefit from the airport as much as other areas.

So far, according to article, $13.2M has been raised of the $15M ask. Apparently Strathcona County has also contributed but I haven't been able to find anything on the amount. The city of Leduc is contributing $400k. Devon has committed to $89k over three years.

Where are our municipal and provincial leaders advocating for EIA and Edmonton region to the federal government? If Sohi wants to lead this city, and he's connected to Trudeau, it would be nice to hear from him on this sooner than later as it's an important issue for Edmonton.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Villeneuve would benefit from spin-off general aviation.
Ff course they benefit from Villeneuve - and so do the citizens of St. Albert benefit every time they catch a nonstop flight and avoid connections. Time is money and tickets, fees and meals at connecting airports do not help EIA or this Region. That the Mayor is dumber than a sack of hammers is obvious to everyone in the Region. Who knew St. Alberta Council is filled with small minded selfish councillors.

My message to Ottawa would be: Banning International Flights from the West's Economic Engine Needs to END Now!

Every single person in Edmonton, every politician and every citizen needs to say it clearly now - it is unacceptable that Edmonton is the only large Canadian city where Ottawa continues to ban international flights. Comparator cities are all permitted to have international flights with quarantine procedures.

This is a metro city of 1.4 million people.

For crying out loud, there is a 4 star hotel attached to the airport, YEG has extensive testing services in place. There is no policy rationale for this decision.

Back