ICE District Phase 2 | 149.95m | ?s | ICE District Prop.

The market has not been there for phase 1... so phase 2, while still likely at some point, is likely revisiting product, phasing and planning.
Right...if there were a market for Phase 1and those residences sold well, tower BG would have stuck to it's original plan of a 188m residential tower instead of the 60m CWB Bank proposal we have now.

I just hope phase 2 isn’t a bunch of 600sqft condos for 600-800k. If they could do 370-600k price points, I think there would be a chance. Or do a rental tower or 2 first to build up the area to make a condo more compelling.

The market has not been there for phase 1... so phase 2, while still likely at some point, is likely revisiting product, phasing and planning.
Phase 2 willl happen for sure, just a matter of 'when': https://www.oeg.ca/news/the-next-chapter-for-daryl-katz-and-oeg

'And now Katz is looking to move that ambition and execution into the next phases of ICE District that will add another 12 acres of development to Downtown Edmonton, including a residential “urban village” to the north of Rogers Place.'

Given the cost of construction and potential sale pricing, I don't see this going anywhere, anytime soon.

That said, I honestly could see Katz revising it all to be high density rentals with considerable VE and moving that forward given where the market is going.

I think something more like Calgary's University District but perhaps with 1-2 highrise rentals and the rest 4-6 story. This would be a huge boon to viablity of ICE District amenities and downtown in general.
I'd be more than fine with this, we don't need it to be exclusively towers

Stadium Yards is close to what could work here, maybe with a bit more of a 'main street' feel and a few more businesses.
Maybe slightly taller, too, like 6-8 stories, with CRUs and a couple of taller mixed use buildings added to the area (10-20 stories)

Will be interesting to see when development starts. I won't be surprised if we get some more details once Boyle Street building is demo'd but I'm sure Katz group is drawing up some plans right now and trying to get a picture of where the market might stand in the next 5-10 years.

Would love a good mix of high-rises and mid-rises to compliment a Main Street and have good exposure for future businesses. I also wonder if they are trying to get a feel of what restaurants/stores might be interested in moving into phase 2 (whenever it see's the day of light).

I truly wonder though when the ball will get rolling here, could be awhile but we shall see.

Let's see some more bank branches in ICE District Phase 2! I kid, I kid...

On a more serious note, I wonder if it will include the following:
- lululemon, Running Room or any sports shops
- The Keg or Hys Steak Loft (to replace a Hys that left Edmonton years ago)
- Mikado (relocated from 109 St and 104 Ave)
- continued expansion of local eatery chains
- fast food: McDonalds, A&W, Subway, Burger King, etc
- coffee shops: Blenz and Deville have been rumored for the Connect Centre
- bookstore (independent although even an Indigo would be nice)
- comic book store
- gaming store
- board game cafe
- pet store
- hardware store (Home Depot)
- Irish pub
- lounges and nightclubs

Let me know if I am missing anything.

Let's see some more bank branches in ICE District Phase 2! I kid, I kid...

On a more serious note, I wonder if it will include the following:
- lululemon, Running Room or any sports shops
- The Keg or Hys Steak Loft (to replace a Hys that left Edmonton years ago)
- Mikado (relocated from 109 St and 104 Ave)
- continued expansion of local eatery chains
- fast food: McDonalds, A&W, Subway, Burger King, etc
- coffee shops: Blenz and Deville have been rumored for the Connect Centre
- bookstore (independent although even an Indigo would be nice)
- comic book store
- gaming store
- board game cafe
- pet store
- hardware store (Home Depot)
- Irish pub
- lounges and nightclubs

Let me know if I am missing anything.

This looks like a wish list for basically things we want more of downtown in general, and some of this stuff would be high-profile, destination worthy. Maybe that's the plan for Phase II, but it seems like if Katz was going to be able to pull in a Hys or Lululemon, he would've already done so for Phase I, which is kind of the 'crown jewel' of the development, around the plaza, and more readily connected to the existing core. I can't help but think this wish list would be nicer for 104th St as a proper high street, or Jasper even, or 102 Ave along an outward-facing City Centre redevelopment. I know some of the things on your wish list already are in these areas, but the bigger destination ones aren't. Still, if they could swing it, and make 102 St through Phase II into an attractive high street, I wouldn't complain. We need stuff like this downtown, regardless.

Back