ICE District Block IJ | ?m | ?s | ICE District Prop. | Next Architecture

Job No 438169429-002
Description: To operate a Special Events Use not to exceed 7 consecutive days or 7 cumulative days on the south portion of the site, not including Vehicle Parking (Surface Parking Lot), construct exterior alterations including adding asphalt/concrete hardsurfacing to the south portion of the site, and modify an existing access from 105 Avenue NW, (Oilers Entertainment Group Fan Park).
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 7
Applicant: URBAN SYSTEMS
Create Date: 2022/06/23

image.jpg

That picture is sssooooo depressing
I am weirdly optimistic seeing this. I see work happening on the right in station lands. I see an empty lot getting at least a bit of love becoming an events area. Off in the distance is the soon to start construction for the new and expanded Boyle Street building. With the current Boyle Street building being vacated eventually that opens up more options/opportunity for development.

I am more so being devils advocate and it is quite sad at present but I have faith it will turn into something in the fairly near term and not remain a complete wasteland.

I am weirdly optimistic seeing this. I see work happening on the right in station lands. I see an empty lot getting at least a bit of love becoming an events area. Off in the distance is the soon to start construction for the new and expanded Boyle Street building. With the current Boyle Street building being vacated eventually that opens up more options/opportunity for development.

I am more so being devils advocate and it is quite sad at present but I have faith it will turn into something in the fairly near term and not remain a complete wasteland.
I concur, lots of room for optimism however I thought Boyle should have moved by now but when I drove by their new future bunker in July - no work had started. So are we still 2+ years from this view improving with the absence of the tents? When does ground-work start on the "villlage?" Can't come soon enough.......

That's also showing my favourite ROW/setback/BLVD landscaping in the city.

I saw a sneak peak of what's being proposed and hopefully it will help activate that block. I can also see it complimenting other activations in the area like The Backyard. Walk from Churchill festival to Backyard to Fan Park to Ice District Plaza.

I'm very curious how this will play off of Ice District plaza. Wouldn't they want as many people there instead? It's possible there's enough demand for overflow but it still makes me wonder what other type of activation would work...

Back