FARM | ?m | 2s

What do you mean it's not the destination? That intersection is basically a power center for retailers - Three Vikings, Meuwlys, Northern Chicken, Duchess, Zwicks, and soon to be Irrational Brewing and MODA.

You can't just ignore 107 and pretend 124th is the only stretch that matters. 107 has to be taken into account, especially if foot traffic is expected to also visit things like RNG RD and Manchester Square.

What do you mean it's not the destination? That intersection is basically a power center for retailers - Three Vikings, Meuwlys, Northern Chicken, Duchess, Zwicks, and soon to be Irrational Brewing and MODA.

You can't just ignore 107 and pretend 124th is the only stretch that matters. 107 has to be taken into account, especially if foot traffic is expected to also visit things like RNG RD and Manchester Square.
Don't forget:
-Washoku (best sushi in Edmonton IMO)
-Grizzlar coffee (in Substation #600)
-Rgd Road Butchery

107 isn't your destination though, 124st is and already has that.

What we do need in the area are a bunch more 4 -6 storey rental and condo infill to drive some traffic 'off hours'.

Disagree slightly. That intersection is becoming the destination. If you stay along 124th Street, the vibe drops significantly by the time you get down to 105th, and then doesn't pick back up again until around 103rd. It will eventually fill in, but 124th street as a whole has a lot of gaps today...(not physical gaps)

Agree strongly. If I was a residential developer, I would be looking hard to find a way to densify this area. With this quality of amenities at your doorstep, I would be placing a strong bet on this being where people want to live.

I love this project! the look is unique, and the cradle-to-cradle type design process is really intriguing. I'm really excited to see something go on that corner, the little Shadified building or whatever it was is just sad.
One thing i will say is the 'who is the developer' mystery is really getting me. as cool as this project is, it's clearly designed to have a relatively short lifespan, and is majorly underdeveloping the site, which allows for 4+ storeys and a much higher FAR than this project has, being a CB1 site under the Main Streets overlay. This is ignoring the precedent for upzoning Main Street Overlay sites via DC2s, which would seem like a reasonable move to maximize this valuable site. I wonder what the long-term play is? and who is orchestrating it?
That being said, VERY VERY excited to see this building hopefully come to be. it looks so friggin cool.

Don't forget:
-Washoku (best sushi in Edmonton IMO)
-Grizzlar coffee (in Substation #600)
-Rgd Road Butchery

Great picks! Washoku is good sushi but although not technically in Edmonton, Kobachi in Sherwood Park is hands down the best sushi place in the EMA. I've been to Tsukiji Market more than a few times over the years (vacation, work) and this is as close as it gets to freshness, quality, and authenticity. Highly recommend!

Also, I believe there is a record store going in with Grizzlar, no?

Who is developing this? MODA's description just calls them a "developer in Edmonton". I would have assumed Beljan, but I can't find any info that ties them to it?
Not us. The site was owned by 7-11 and I know they were planning on selling it. Don't know who scooped it up. But I really dig this proposal.

The render looks somewhat old (I see the former Relish in Northern Chicken's current space) and I am somewhat skeptical that art galleries could generate the income needed to build this. Maybe I am reading too much into the render, but how likely is it that this project will proceed in this form (which I love, BTW)?

^^ I hear what you're saying about the street view being outdated by at least a couple of years, but from what I've seen that is somewhat common in renders? I know absolutely nothing about this project, but I would give it an extremely high probability of proceeding especially in the context presented. Very do-able, and redoable... I sure hope it happens in some form as innovative as presented. Love it!
An art gallery may be one of many possible tenants? All we know thus far is the developer is from Edmonton and looks like a lot of variety for multiple tenants in mobile floor plans.

Just drove by this intersection a little while ago. Man, the way this building, Roxy and Sub 600 will frame this intersection will be stunning, and make this a real destination for people to visit in our city. Now we just need that little brick building on the southeast corner to redevelop! I'm envisioning a mixed-use 4-6 story to add some needed height to the area.

^ interestingly enough the Cashco location just closed there and the other bay has been empty for a while. Prime for redevelopment or at least some better tenants. I wonder if Beljan tried to include that property as part of the Substation 600 development (Chris?). I wouldn't be surprised if they had tried but the owner wasn't willing to sell.

Back