Falcon Towers | 170m | 44s | Langham Developments | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
20231018_125025.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 6.18.36 PM.png

Say what you want about the look from the outside, but with Langham finally going with forced air, these would be good towers to live in (as a former Icon I tower resident).
And I still believe these will look far less terrible than everyone is saying.
They might not be the most brilliant example or architecture, but it's not like we're looking at a taller Block 121 West

And I still believe these will look far less terrible than everyone is saying.
They might not be the most brilliant example or architecture, but it's not like we're looking at a taller Block 121 West
It won't be a disaster, but this space is the very core and will remain the very core of our city. How we do our core will be the impression visitors and the outside world will perceive us. My own personal belief is that a three block circumference from the very core requires great architect; the reason being that visitors tend to start at the core and branch off. Three blocks is pretty much the level where one's eyes can easily focus before straining for clarity...
Anything resembling Icons, Foxes, or Falcons are welcome but not this zone. Look at the ariel view shot of 104st. It looks horrible because of their monotonously monochromatic look. At least the Great Wall Of China has interesting stone works to it vs this.

It won't be a disaster, but this space is the very core and will remain the very core of our city. How we do our core will be the impression visitors and the outside world will perceive us. My own personal belief is that a three block circumference from the very core requires great architect; the reason being that visitors tend to start at the core and branch off. Three blocks is pretty much the level where one's eyes can easily focus before straining for clarity...
Anything resembling Icons, Foxes, or Falcons are welcome but not this zone. Look at the ariel view shot of 104st. It looks horrible because of their monotonously monochromatic look. At least the Great Wall Of China has interesting stone works to it vs this.
Just ok looking buildings and people will leave a far greater impression on visitors than surface parking lots and abandoned lots.

I honestly think that, depending on what they do with the railings, and how good the glass curtain cutout looks, these will look decent, and better than the Icons and the Foxes.

As @SMayo said, I think that the added density, and the street level interaction will be far more important and significant in terms of perception of our Downtown than the skyline. Quite frankly, save for a few very particular cities, no one really cares about how a city looks from afar, except people like us, which are the absolute minority.

What most people will care about is their experience down in the streets, the actual fabric of the place. How vibrant it is, how clean, interesting and dynamic a place feels. Adding as many residents to the area, especially south of Jasper Ave, and having a podium that interacts well with the street, is going to be much more determinant in the success of these buildings, as far as improving Downtown goes, than how they look from across the river.

Just ok looking buildings and people will leave a far greater impression on visitors than surface parking lots and abandoned lots.

In present time this is true. In the future not so much. I don't have your worries in thought for I have seen stagnation...
There seems to be a new momentum...
I welcome this type of development, but, DEAR GOSH, SPREAD THIS AROUND THE CORE SO IT COULD BLEND IN SMOOTHER AND LESS INVASIVE (there were no screams in those capital letters).

Back