Falcon Towers | 170m | 44s | Langham Developments | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
104 st. feels disjointed. It has a lot of potential and when there is activity it is buzzing. However it lacks cohesion and the empty CRU's in the Fox Towers really prohibit this street from realizing its full potential.

I just hope that Falcon towers have reasonable rates because it would really help activate some dead space in the core.

104 st. feels disjointed. It has a lot of potential and when there is activity it is buzzing. However it lacks cohesion and the empty CRU's in the Fox Towers really prohibit this street from realizing its full potential.

I just hope that Falcon towers have reasonable rates because it would really help activate some dead space in the core.
104 St has potential to be awesome (well duh.. like everywhere). Imagine FOX towers empty CRUs were filled with nice eat and drink with Patios all lined up in front? I like to imagine things. I wonder if street interaction is planned for the new developments on the 103 Ave intersection?
1692628213175.png

Remember when a giant sports pub was planned for the ground floor of Fox and the community rejected it? The empty CRUs feel like karma and now you can walk a few blocks east to multiple giant pubs.

Hopefully we better activation with Falcons, but I'm not holding my breath given how stingy Langham has been with Fox.

Remember when a giant sports pub was planned for the ground floor of Fox and the community rejected it? The empty CRUs feel like karma and now you can walk a few blocks east to multiple giant pubs.

Hopefully we better activation with Falcons, but I'm not holding my breath given how stingy Langham has been with Fox.

Karma or simply empty because of out of whack expectations.

A 'superclub' was NOT going to position 104st into the stretch we all want it to be.

Last edited:
Karma or simply empty because of out of what expectations.

A 'superclub' was NOT going to position 104st into the stretch we all want it to be.
Do you speak for everyone? I think some people would have preferred something be there versus a bunch of empty CRUs five years post-completion. I recollect that it was proposed as a sports bar; not another Knoxvilles.

But 1 and not beat a dead horse, but the potential of those spaces far exceeds that. The bigger issue is timing, poor choice of HVAC, space design, lack of people and unrealistic rates.

But 1 and not beat a dead horse, but the potential of those spaces far exceeds that. The bigger issue is timing, poor choice of HVAC, space design, lack of people and unrealistic rates.
Downtown nimby is the most simple explanation. True shame what was allowed to happen.

Urban Sparq was the applicant, IIRC which had a solid grip on operating bars of that scale. I think it would have been great, but its refusal really came down to the Zoning Bylaw and limits on that type of Bar and Neighbourhood Pubs use (or whatever the use that was being applied for). Looking back I do think that this should have went ahead as you have these larger establishments literally a block away.

Timing was a big factor. The economy slowed down for several year and then COVID hit.

Filling empty commercial retail space is a problem throughout the downtown core and not unique to this building, although some others seem to make more of an effort and are more successful.

Urban Sparq was the applicant, IIRC which had a solid grip on operating bars of that scale. I think it would have been great, but its refusal really came down to the Zoning Bylaw and limits on that type of Bar and Neighbourhood Pubs use (or whatever the use that was being applied for). Looking back I do think that this should have went ahead as you have these larger establishments literally a block away.

It was less about their track record and more about what the vision for 104st was/is/could be and how it simply didn't 'fit' for many.

They pulled their SDAB appeal as they would have lost it imo. The General Purpose of the HA area is 'urban village character' and talks extensively about the mix of residential and commercial uses. It restricts the size of bars and pubs as many are right beside buildings with residential at grade. That some on the street got exceptions is their right to apply for. Some operate outside the bylaws with loud music and 'nightclub-like' atmosphere certain days but without a nightclub permit. But it isn't an entertainment street like ICE District. Whether or not a bar in Fox II would have worked or not hard to say. It totally depends on the operator. Entendre was shut down for operating a nightclub where they had a bar permit and was a nightmare for surrounding residential. The new zoning bylaw may be more permissive, I didn't look at the HA zone specifically.

Back