Coronation Community Recreation Centre | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Triathalon Canada also ran an article. I talked with a friend at the COC and she said there was a lot of discussion there as well.
I believe your acronym means Canadian Olympic Committee?

National Training Centre is in Milton.

Of the track members of the Canadian team - 6 are residents of Milton where I assume they are training. None are from Edmonton though one is from Sherwood Park. I don't think the Edmonton velodrome meets Olympic standards or designed in a way that is could be used as a National Training Centre.

Last edited:
I believe your acronym means Canadian Olympic Committee?

National Training Centre is in Milton.

Of the track members of the Canadian team - 6 are residents of Milton where I assume they are training. None are from Edmonton though one is from Sherwood Park. I don't think the Edmonton velodrome meets Olympic standards or designed in a way that is could be used as a National Training Centre.
Yes I meant the Olympic committee. Yes most of the track team lives in Milton. I meant to say that having another venue can only help. We have had quite a few members of the team from the Edmonton area. They may not all be Olympic champions but Juventus has had a profound impact on track cycling. But most of the team living in Milton. Its like saying the rowing team is from Victoria. You live near the training center. There are centers of excellence for sports throughout Canada. I believe Edmonton is a centre of excellence for Curling, Basketball, and track. Edmonton has a pretty good history of world level cyclists.

Innovative Recreation Centre coming to Coronation Park in 2026​

March 24, 2022​
S.gif
62a2ad5e-9f6b-4b68-a57b-f0b4e4433857.jpg
S.gif
S.gif
This morning the City of Edmonton, along with Ward Anirniq Councillor Erin Rutherford, Clark Builders, the Alberta Velodrome Association and Do North Events (formerly World Triathlon Edmonton), celebrated the launch of construction of the Coronation Park Sports and Recreation Centre.

“This new recreation centre embodies the City’s vision of Edmonton as a recreation city,” said Adam Laughlin, Deputy City Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services. “It’s a great demonstration of our City’s commitment to building vibrant spaces, supporting Edmontonians to be healthy and active, and ensuring equity in access to recreation facilities and amenities.”

The 16,416 square metre facility includes a fitness centre, walking/running track, gymnasia, multi-purpose program rooms, indoor play space, sanctioned indoor cycling track, a link to the current Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre, and supporting site development including roads, parking, landscaping and tennis court development.

“It’s always exciting when a project comes to life – especially a project that will make a big difference in the community,” said Ron Orr, Minister of Culture, Government of Alberta. “Our community grants are designed to help build vibrant, active communities, and this project does exactly that. I know this project will positively impact the physical and mental well-being of many Edmontonians. I look forward to watching the construction progress and I know that thousands of residents and high-calibre athletes will be following along, too.”

The project has been advanced in partnership with the Argyll Velodrome Association and Do North Events. They have been engaged in the facility design since 2012 and will hold important roles in animating the recreation centre for community and sport patrons.

“The Argyll Velodrome Association is honoured to be partners with the City of Edmonton and Do North Events in the development and future operations of this amazing facility,” said David Embury, Argyll Velodrome Association. “We are proud to offer opportunities for all ages and abilities in our sports. We look forward to completing construction and the prospect of enhancing the growth of our sports with great anticipation.”

“We’re excited about the opportunities a world-class facility such as this provides for the community and for the sports of cycling and triathlon,” said Lindsay Harrison, Director, Do North Events. “Do North Events is proud to be contributing to the development of sport, to future event hosting, and to Edmonton’s active living and healthy city vision.”

City Council approved the project budget of $153.41M in December 2021. Site preparation has started and the facility is scheduled to be completed in spring 2026 and will open to the public that year. The project will generate more than 700 full-time jobs, which will be greatly beneficial to the local economy. The project is an architectural partnership between hcma and Dub Architects, in association with FaulknerBrowns Architects.

Photo details - From left to right: David Embury (Argyll Velodrome Association), Lindsay Harrison (Do North Events), Edmonton City Councillor Erin Rutherford, Steve Lenarduzzi (Clark Builders) and Integrated Infrastructure Services Deputy City Manager Adam Laughlin.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/coronationreccentre

Media contact:
Amanda Krumins Somkuti
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-975-5785​

Tbh, I'm a little bit upset they have occupied 8 tennis courts I enjoyed very much. Anyone knows if they are going to re-open after construction is completed? At this point they're storing materials on them. I looked on Google earth and didn't find another place in the city with 8 public courts..

20220330_145239.jpg

20220330_145108.jpg

20220330_145103.jpg

20220330_144931.jpg

I would send an email to the CoE project team. Looks like they’re using the courts for their project trailers. Hopefully they don’t tear up the court floors too much.

Back