Coronation Community Recreation Centre | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Can try Borden Park courts as well

I would send an email to the CoE project team. Looks like they’re using the courts for their project trailers. Hopefully they don’t tear up the court floors too much.
My friend who works on this project in Clark Builders has confirmed that these courts will be replaced with new ones as part of the project.

Tbh, I'm a little bit upset they have occupied 8 tennis courts I enjoyed very much. Anyone knows if they are going to re-open after construction is completed? At this point they're storing materials on them. I looked on Google earth and didn't find another place in the city with 8 public courts..

Those Tennis courts will be replaced with new ones where the existing Coronation Arena stands (this building will also be demolished)

Coronation.PNG

Last edited:
That's actually devastating news. I used these tennis courts four times a week these past two summers of COVID times. There are no real alternatives for free public courts anywhere in the nearby communities. This pretty much guarantees that there won't be any courts this summer and then they are replacing the 8 courts we had with two!! Another project in the city taking away free public facilities and replacing it with paid facilities for the wealthy... How do I start a petition?

That's actually devastating news. I used these tennis courts four times a week these past two summers of COVID times. There are no real alternatives for free public courts anywhere in the nearby communities. This pretty much guarantees that there won't be any courts this summer and then they are replacing the 8 courts we had with two!! Another project in the city taking away free public facilities and replacing it with paid facilities for the wealthy... How do I start a petition?
Unfortunately, due to site logistics, both existing and proposed utilities to the main building partially run underneath the existing tennis courts. Additionally, the intent is to preserve and protect as many of the existing trees as possible and lessen the overall disturance to the green space. Therefore it made sense to utilize the existing tennis court as an area to place U/G utilities and an area for the temporary placement of site laydown and trailers.

I might be looking at this wrong, but it looks to me like there'll be six tennis courts: Four smaller ones on the left, and two larger ones to the right. Thanks for the drawings @Asherlev and welcome to the forum! Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in the introductions thread :)

The smaller ones are for pickleball a more relaxed version of tennis usually for the elderly. If that's all the space they will use for tennis they should at least do three tennis courts and two pickleball courts.

Keep in mind during the summer all 8 of these tennis courts were in frequent use and I had to wait in line many times for a court so they were very popular within Edmonton.

Back