Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^ That's correct. I was there last night and used the elevator by the main floor entrance to get to the rooftop patio.
Great food and fantastic patio. Will definitely be back.
Is it by the MAIN entrance (near the Oiler store and the oft-closed entry to the main floor bar) or by the hidden entrance w stairs to the South ?

Funny thing is, not all of their staff seem to know about it because I asked several people with duh answers in return...

So, I heard through the grapevine from a few different individuals that we might have good and bad news about the tower:

The bad news is that what had already been reported by someone here is true, and CWB is pushing the construction start as far away as possible into the future. We might be looking at 2025 or 2026 start here.

The good news are: they are not giving up on building it, and are still firmly committed to the tower AND are revising the project, possibly to include more height and make it mixed use (my bet would be a hotel) in order to lessen the financial burden.

So, I heard through the grapevine from a few different individuals that we might have good and bad news about the tower:

The bad news is that what had already been reported by someone here is true, and CWB is pushing the construction start as far away as possible into the future. We might be looking at 2025 or 2026 start here.

The good news are: they are not giving up on building it, and are still firmly committed to the tower AND are revising the project, possibly to include more height and make it mixed use (my bet would be a hotel) in order to lessen the financial burden.
Both sound like "good news" lol. I thought their current lease expires in 2026?

A later date (but with revised heights with a mixed use component) wouldn't be the end of the world honestly. I think it's going to be height watch for us here then over the next few years.

Personally I'll put 20 imaginary dollars on a 175 metre tower.

With the recent improvements to their current building, which look quite nice and now are almost done, I get the feeling the landlord may be trying to make it very enticing for them to stay where they are.

In any event, a mixed used building with a hotel would be a good idea here.

I think there's a bit of construction fatigue in Ice District, so I also don't see this as the end of the world. This pause will also give ID more time to establish itself as a destination, which in turn should help with leasing up the remaining empty CRUs
I agree. Overall, I think this is positive, especially considering the possibility of a mixed use tower (likely a hotel), and also of a taller, more visually interesting building, too.

Going back to earlier threads from 2017/18 vintage, tower B was height-limited by soil conditions to 150m (approximately 43 storeys) -- the footings for that structure have now been baked into any design changes so any new proposal will have those height limitations to contend with. The columns have also been built to those conditions through the now existing podium. The structural design is thereby limited to what is existing, not that a creative architect couldn't make a new design interesting. A hotel seems unlikely to me in that the base structure is not suitable for that kind of use.

If an hotel were to be part of the mix, I would more see it built as a second tower on ICE District land facing onto 104th street (remember a pedway connection across the alley has already been baked into the design so it would essentially have access to all of the existing ICE District amenities). This would then support another two-tower solution with an hotel plus residential in one tower and an office plus residential in the tower B location. Now THAT would be a great boost for 104th street north as well as adding density to the ICE District and downtown. The resultant hotel would then have bragging rights for the 104th-street trade, with a proper porte-cochère entry that could also directly access underground parking. Katz and Co. have long been silent on this other land possibilities -- they may also be looking at purchasing the now abandoned storage building on the corner of 103 ave. and 104th street. This sort of solution would also be more appealing to the CW bank and could be an enticement AND a rationale for delays in the office building The possibilities are intriguing.

View towards where the future CWB tower will go:

IMG_8363.jpeg
IMG_8364.jpeg

How tall are the two towers? Will the CWB still be a little tiny skyscraper?
Undecided. CWB is pushing construction for as long as they can, but working with the prospect of a larger building, possibly mixed used, but nothing has been decided as far as I know (check previous 2 pages for context)

Back