Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
i
It doesn't appear that they had to pour new footings - just looks like they had to break up the slab where the legs are connecting below. My guess is they had cast-in the anchor bolts for the base plate connection when the parking structure was completed, and then covered them up anticipating that the signs wouldn't be installed for a couple years. I could be wrong, but it seems like this was intentional.
I was talking to the electrical contractor who told me there was supposed to be an electrical connection or conduit cast in place but was not installed so they have to do it themselves.

Eshhh...that plaza looks cold, sterile, and uninviting. Way too much concrete, not enough trees, and I think all the towers around it make it feel closed in and dark.
Besides what Archited said, the sunken area doubles as a skating rink in the winter (Block BG will contain an ice plant for it), so they can't have trees in that middle space. I'm a huge supporter of naturalizing urban areas as much as possible, but I think that when the construction is finished, the surrounding landscaping is installed, and Block BG is occupied, this area will look pretty darn good.
Ice Plaza.jpg

And yes, I know Cineplex won't be a tenant anymore, but I think the grocery store will get more than enough traffic to liven up the area.

Besides what Archited said, the sunken area doubles as a skating rink in the winter (Block BG will contain an ice plant for it), so they can't have trees in that middle space. I'm a huge supporter of naturalizing urban areas as much as possible, but I think that when the construction is finished, the surrounding landscaping is installed, and Block BG is occupied, this area will look pretty darn good.
View attachment 314435
And yes, I know Cineplex won't be a tenant anymore, but I think the grocery store will get more than enough traffic to liven up the area.
Why do we even need Cineplex, there's a large screen for movies in the main plaza plus those three other video panels being erected now for additional movies! A non-drive in theater complex right there.

View attachment 314435
So looking forward to watching the Oil in the 2022 playoffs on this big screen.

Curious to see what they propose/do.

I sat on the playoff planning committee and we had various scenarios and expansion plans, with the plaza being the primary site obviously.
It'll be nice to have a big open space for people to congregate outside of the arena. 2017 was a gongshow (and rather dangerous) with everyone packed-in along 104ave.

Phase 1 was the plaza
Phase 2 had options for 104st from 103ave-104ave akin to the summer party they host there with a screen at the north end
Phase 3 had options to expand east of Rogers to the surface lot

There was reluctance to close 104ave from 102-104 or 105st from emergency services.

I do wonder how well it will accommodate large crowds, but I think the closed in feeling for the plaza is probably intentional and will help it feel more intimate/festive. With the building to the west now being built, this is more noticeable.

In some ways I think this is better than Churchill Square (dare I say that) as a large, but not too large public space. I imagine in the summer it could be good for outdoor seating for nearby bars/restaurants.

It does have a lot of concrete, but it is designed to accommodate large crowds on a regular basis, so not much room for greenery. Overall I think it will do what it was intended to.

Back