Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
094FE346-243D-434C-B5AE-236CC2170B12.jpeg
22FEA732-DA56-483C-BB53-DC4C659FC3AD.jpeg

This may be a stretch...but seeing as Mr. Katz is the majority owner of the restaurants/bars in JW, there is probably a bit of a conflicted approach to leasing hospitality. You want to create a hub/destination, but you also want them to be much different offerings so you aren't biting off customers that would otherwise be looking at Braven/Kindred/Alchemy.

^^^^if that is true then for Mr. Katz it is completely wrong-headed thinking. Restaurants (and I have designed over 80 in greater Los Angeles) absolutely thrive when they are set amid their peers -- the bigger the overall crowd attracted to an area the better for all hospitality businesses. Banks and institutional tenants on main floors absoultely kill foot traffic and -- this may be counter-intuitive -- Mr. Katz businesses will suffer if that is his intention. I think that it has more to do with Banks willing to pay a premium for these types of locations and their long-term leases and easy "sells" make realtors go for the easy take. If you want proof of retail/hospitality concept look at the make-up of L.A. Live -- https://www.lalive.com/eat and https://www.lalive.com/play

I think you are correct that having banks and other such tenants is not going to enhance its appeal as an entertainment destination. I suspect the problem is with the state of things particularly over the last year, they probably found it very difficult to get such tenants, so they took the tenant they could get here.

I deal with Scotiabank and personally think they should have stayed on Jasper Avenue. The building they had there, while older, was quite sufficient and actually fairly nice. However, for whatever reason they decided this would be a smart move for them and Katz will have now a good paying tenant rather than having to carry an additional empty space, possibly for some considerable period of time.

Also, I suppose if it is any consolation, this is the other side of the building that faces towards the business district downtown and not the plaza or the arena.

Banks should be on upper floors -- not on the street period -- along with other institutional organizations such as insurance offices, travel agencies, etc. Street locations, particularly in key pedestrian areas should be reserved for retail and hospitality -- storefronts should be contiguous, design-intense, and accessible in short travel distances.

Back