Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
sm 20210808_153824.jpg
sm 20210808_153857.jpg
sm 20210808_153910.jpg

Remember folks that in many places, grocery stores can sell liquor. Alberta requires separate stores. The liquor store is essentially an extension of the grocery store. This is not a bars on the window type liquor store.

Akin to central Stockholm or Helsinki with a busy, well located grocery (including alcohol) store.

You mean Loblaws is not going to plaster sales promos all over the windows of the liquor store?? Is there a bylaw against that for Ice District ... nope.

Reactions: God
Well considering we have three banks, a grocery store, a liquor store, and a pharmacy, theres not much that seems entertaining about that.
That's a good point and illustrates a decades old mentality of this city. Our city council should have higher standards and we ,as residents ,should want and demand more. A core that is entertaining, vibrant and engaging. A perfect example is the High Level Bridge Park that was proposed. A green walkable park over the High Level Bridge that would have connected downtown with Strathcona. City couldn't find 80K in this year's budget to help that project move along.?! There should be a tough stance on developers too You want to build here, it better be as you say it is from start to finish. I'd rather have our core filled with empty spaces than "Good enough" underdelivered projects. A city is more than just buildings and bridges. This city's core has a lot of potential to be something special and still has a lot of room on it's canvas. It just needs the right mentality to paint that beautiful picture.

You want to build here, it better be as you say it is from start to finish.
Pretty quickly all development will dry up with that mentality.

You have to set the conditions for development to occur by the private sector. This includes a degree of freedom, while pushing them to always do a little bit better.

If you're suggesting the public sector could take over, I just can't see the City having the organizational capacity to step in and become the developer of most major projects.

That's a good point and illustrates a decades old mentality of this city. Our city council should have higher standards and we ,as residents ,should want and demand more. A core that is entertaining, vibrant and engaging. A perfect example is the High Level Bridge Park that was proposed. A green walkable park over the High Level Bridge that would have connected downtown with Strathcona. City couldn't find 80K in this year's budget to help that project move along.?! There should be a tough stance on developers too You want to build here, it better be as you say it is from start to finish. I'd rather have our core filled with empty spaces than "Good enough" underdelivered projects. A city is more than just buildings and bridges. This city's core has a lot of potential to be something special and still has a lot of room on it's canvas. It just needs the right mentality to paint that beautiful picture.

You have hit a point that I believe sums up Edmonton perfectly in my opinion (bolded). If I had to describe Edmonton, it is a city that has had all the potential for many, many years. Unfortunately, at some point that potential needs to become more than that and transformed into momentum otherwise it just continues to be wasted potential here. The right mentality is precisely what has been needed for a while.

If you're suggesting the public sector could take over, I just can't see the City having the organizational capacity to step in and become the developer of most major projects.

As per Michael Oshry, I would prefer the city not be the developer of many projects at all - Blatchford is a good case in point. As you noted above, the city needs to set and enforce the standards for the project, but it doesn't need to play developer role.
The city has put a lot of money into Blatchford with not much to show in terms of revenue and it could be selling that land for money now and earning more property taxes sooner (safe to say project would be progressing faster if city not the developer).
I think the city needs to focus on fewer things and doing them very well and I think we would see improvement in some of the fundamentals which would also help with all aspects of city life.

I really don't think we should underestimate the impact of timing on this. The years from 2016 to 2020 were not that great economically here and then COVID came along and made a fairly difficult situation even worse. You can't force private businesses to take space, in this economic environment.

However, things go in cycles and I think we are probably at the end of that cycle. It is not great to see such a space underutilized or partly filled with things that do not fit the original plan, but I think in time things will come around.

You mean Loblaws is not going to plaster sales promos all over the windows of the liquor store?? Is there a bylaw against that for Ice District ... nope.
not to worry, I’m sure they won’t plaster any more signs or vinyl on the windows here than they did on the arena…. :(

Hey does anyone know where on this thread is the site plan for this building? If city market is on the second level than what is planned at ground level under the grocery store?

Additionally, the CRU on the right as you enter the district from the south on 103rd. I think that one is pivotal visually as one, it helps set the tone.

One business I wish the Oilers would open up either facing the plaza in one of the smaller CRU's or near the main entrance of Rogers on 104 is an Oilers team store. If I am visiting the city and want to get some Oilers paraphernalia on a non game day, there should be somewhere near the arena I can go to.

Additionally, the CRU on the right as you enter the district from the south on 103rd. I think that one is pivotal visually as one, it helps set the tone.

One business I wish the Oilers would open up either facing the plaza in one of the smaller CRU's or near the main entrance of Rogers on 104 is an Oilers team store. If I am visiting the city and want to get some Oilers paraphernalia on a non game day, there should be somewhere near the arena I can go to.
They are doing just that, thankfully! I believe in a re-worked AC-101 space (on 104 Ave / 103 St corner, with adding a Zamboni room for the plaza rink), but someone may know better on the exact location.

Will be called "Ice District Authentics" and I know I'm intrigued to see it. I really hope it's a big store, and doesn't just sell Oilers stuff, but embrace Edmonton and sell Elks, FC Edmonton, Riverhawks, etc. too.

Back