What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
275FF523-D8C1-42DF-964F-E1F983ED8191.jpeg
C2124C84-CF4D-4133-81BD-0D0D57FC61CB.jpeg
F6263736-75B8-4167-B0B6-37524595FEF3.jpeg
96333DEA-35C3-4265-9FDA-CE92F952274E.jpeg
1C9B5E2C-E62C-40B1-97B3-25F009196119.jpeg
DDCE0E27-8940-4962-BC42-6F96C5417ED5.jpeg

If the area "could use", it would be used. Who in their right minds would not build? Hoping for the mentioned amounts is an entirely different topic.

If the area "could use", it would be used. Who in their right minds would not build? Hoping for the mentioned amounts is an entirely different topic.
Not necessarily it would be used. There are several factors other than the retail, food and hospitality demands and needs to be considered. Even the residential demand, both for condos and rentals, are not enough to, alone, warrant the kind of investment that would add this many residents, especially with a depressed economy. Few companies have the financials to take the risk and the ones that do, probably got to this point by not doing so.
I reckon that with the economy slowly picking up the pace along 2021 and 2022, with all of the incentives that are coming and will still come from several levels of government over the next few years, we'll see downtown building again.
It also wouldn't surprise me if this tower was one of the 10 that will take the city's tax break and start going up this year.

^^^^ Actually, @Avenuer, you may have inadvertently tripped over a good idea. Wouldn't it be cool to take some early period-style bus fixtures and bus carcasses and develop them into a memory-lane eatery (+ drinkery) on the very site of Edmonton's infamous Union Bus Depot -- what a fun project for a skilled Interior Designer/Architect. It would give new relevance to the diner's bus-boy. Booths could be named after Alberta destinations; staff could wear period-style uniforms; dishes could pick up on the hash-style diner that used to exist before A&W moved in and there was a puppet-like band that was mounted high on the wall that used to entertain eaters. There could even be some hobo-like statuary positioned around the place for atmosphere. A big hit, no doubt! Copyright!

^^^^ Actually, @Avenuer, you may have inadvertently tripped over a good idea. Wouldn't it be cool to take some early period-style bus fixtures and bus carcasses and develop them into a memory-lane eatery (+ drinkery) on the very site of Edmonton's infamous Union Bus Depot -- what a fun project for a skilled Interior Designer/Architect. It would give new relevance to the diner's bus-boy. Booths could be named after Alberta destinations; staff could wear period-style uniforms; dishes could pick up on the hash-style diner that used to exist before A&W moved in and there was a puppet-like band that was mounted high on the wall that used to entertain eaters. There could even be some hobo-like statuary positioned around the place for atmosphere. A big hit, no doubt! Copyright!
The term "bus carcasses" makes me uncomfortable. When I use transit, I don't want to think about being inside a giant carcass-to-be haha

Back