Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think @jason403 feels the looming threat of "cancel culture" whereby defending your preferences in terms of lifestyle is somehow a "bad choice". My biggest hope is that we don't become "single-minded" about mobility options to the extent of calling out specific options as wrong-headed thinking. We can already see on this relatively progressive site that many people have a variety of sensibilities about "choice"; we don't need any dictators telling each other how to live and dissing alternative viewpoints. As I have said several times in the past, the private auto is here to stay -- it is rapidly transmogrifying (e.g. General Motors has just released a statement that it will be producing only electric cars by the year 2035 -- which probably means that the choices in electric vs fossil-fuel driven will lean towards the former within a year or two from now). Seeing a broad range of choices is a good thing; narrowing those down to some "new" ones is a bad thing.

We desperately need to get more people out and about on our streets and begin to develop a safer, more walkable, more visible urban core. That is not to say that all streets should be closed to traffic for pedestrian malls or the like, but there continues to be a subconscious disconnect with regards to a vibrant Downtown and our daily choices. The correlation is clear enough, but more conscious decisions need to be made IF we want that kind of experience.

If we don't, that's fine too, but let's put a greater emphasis on A+B=C.

^^^^What about "X"? -- I seem to recall that @Daveography has a special method for finding "X". The conscious decisions are being made -- in a democratic society they are made by consensus -- and consensus is the founding root of democracy. Sometimes the consensus decision turns out to be bad (UPC won the last election par exemple; same in the U.S. 4+ years ago with Trump-sville). That is where well-informed decision making helps. We should all try thinking in positive modes no matter the issue -- negativity leads to long faces (we become indistinguishable from horses)

Last edited:
For me personally, groceries are going once a week for my wife and I. Basically get enough stuff to eat for the week, and meal prep for lunches at work.

The world over where you shop for 2-3 days is also largely by necessity, not out of choice. When I worked overseas in London, would have a tiny flat with a tiny refrigerator 1/2 the size of an average one in Edmonton. Lived and worked in the CBD, and was fortunate to have a grocery store a couple blocks away. Had to walk, because I didn't drive there. So I guess I just like to make the point that people (on average) walk out of necessity, not out of choice (there are some that choose to, and for sure they are out there, but these are largely a minority).

Apologies if I misconstrued what you wrote, but I took it as vilifying people who drive instead of walking. I guess I just don't want to be defending myself for choosing to use a car, when for me, I can make a choice of what's most efficient for my situation. It's also probably why so many initiatives aren't overly effective to get people out of using cars. There is the capacity to drive, and it's affordable. When Edmonton gets dense where this isn't the case anymore, I feel only then will cars be less impactful on our decisions (and yes, we should be planning for that, but not at the expense of people's current utility).
You might have a point in much of what you said, but my experience tells me that there's a lot of people who don't walk and/or take transit for lack of any incentives to do so, either positive (quality of ride, comfort and safety of sidewalks, interesting destinations, etc...) or negative (gas prices, lack of affordable parking, congested traffic, etc...).
I frankly think we should push, at least in the downtown core, for a mix on both kinds of incentives to get people out of their cars. To be honest, I believe we should be looking at Europe, for example, as a country, to become less car-centric.

It is proven that, overall, it's healthier for the people, the environment and makes up for better cities, with more of the economy in the hands of small business owners. It's undeniable that, despite the standard of living in North America being ridiculously high, Europe is light-years ahead in terms of quality of life, and that has A LOT to do with the way their cities are built.

The car-centric suburbia experiment failed, blatantly. 70 years of it and if you can't see how doomed it is, and how it's ruining our cities, you just need to look a little bit closer. That's not saying that we should all abandon our vehicles and live in some sort of dystopian transit/bike only world, I enjoy driving myself, and a few of my go-to shops in Edmonton require driving, for sure, but the car can't be the priority anymore, and that's the whole argument in favor of building walkable zones in the city and yes, penalizing car use in some of them.

And surprise surprise, if we managed to take half of the cars off the streets in the downtown, it would make it better for EVERYONE, even the people who will use their cars regardless of anything. Half the cars mean less congestion, even if we reduce lanes to widen sidewalks and create bike infrastructure, means more available on-street parking for the remaining drivers (but less private gravel parking lots in dense areas), so it's a win-win.

I'm sorry that you feel as if you're lifestyle choices are under attack here, I'm absolutely sure that it wasn't the intention of anyone in the forum. The goal of this comment, as a matter of fact, is just to point out that there's a place for you and your choices (or at least there should be) in a city planning that's not car centric, but that it just cannot be prioritized anymore, for the sake of the city's financial health, future development and its citizens well being, as a whole.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Long time creeper first time poster, but I felt like I wanted to give my two cents on this topic.

I've never lived in Europe but I've lived and worked in most major cities in Canada (Edmonton being home base and back in Edmonton now). My favourite downtown was Montreal. I always lived a ways away from Downtown there but on the weekends (both winter and summer) I would take the metro (they have a great transit system) into downtown for multiples of reasons but almost never for shopping. Their downtown always had some type of festival happening, something interesting happening at Mount Royal (Sunday Tam Tams was always a spectical to see), other parks with people hanging out having picnics (usually with a bottle of wine), the coffee shops were second to none, great patios to hang out on and have a couple drinks and great restaurants.

What I find with Edmonton is downtown is starting to get more and more top notch restaurants in downtown which is awesome. The coffee shops are lacking in my opinion (I tend to call myself a coffee snob), lots I find aren't even open on the weekend. patios even pre covid were lacking. But the biggest one for me is the lack of outdoor festivals. I love the taste of Edmonton and when it is happening downtown is bumping with people. folk fest, awesome. other than that what is in downtown?

just a few examples of my favourite festivals I would frequent in Montreal. Jazz fest (my fav), comedy festival. All of this of course once covid is under control.

You might have a point in much of what you said, but my experience tells me that there's a lot of people who don't walk and/or take transit for lack of any incentives to do so, either positive (quality of ride, comfort and safety of sidewalks, interesting destinations, etc...) or negative (gas prices, lack of affordable parking, congested traffic, etc...).
I frankly think we should push, at least in the downtown core, for a mix on both kinds of incentives to get people out of their cars. To be honest, I believe we should be looking at Europe, for example, as a country, to become less car-centric.

It is proven that, overall, it's healthier for the people, the environment and makes up for better cities, with more of the economy in the hands of small business owners. It's undeniable that, despite the standard of living in North America being ridiculously high, Europe is light-years ahead in terms of quality of life, and that has A LOT to do with the way their cities are built.

The car-centric suburbia experiment failed, blatantly. 70 years of it and if you can't see how doomed it is, and how it's ruining our cities, you just need to look a little bit closer. That's not saying that we should all abandon our vehicles and live in some sort of dystopian transit/bike only world, I enjoy driving myself, and a few of my go-to shops in Edmonton require driving, for sure, but the car can't be the priority anymore, and that's the whole argument in favor of building walkable zones in the city and yes, penalizing car use in some of them.

And surprise surprise, if we managed to take half of the cars off the streets in the downtown, it would make it better for EVERYONE, even the people who will use their cars regardless of anything. Half the cars mean less congestion, even if we reduce lanes to widen sidewalks and create bike infrastructure, means more available on-street parking for the remaining drivers (but less private gravel parking lots in dense areas), so it's a win-win.

I'm sorry that you feel as if you're lifestyle choices are under attack here, I'm absolutely sure that it wasn't the intention of anyone in the forum. The goal of this comment, as a matter of fact, is just to point out that there's a place for you and your choices (or at least there should be) in a city planning that's not car centric, but that it just cannot be prioritized anymore, for the sake of the city's financial health, future development and its citizens well being, as a whole.
I think where you live will partly determine how car centric you are. If you live in a very suburban environment, designed primarily for auto use, you will probably use that a lot. If you live in an older neighbourhood or downtown, take the opportunity to get out of your car and walk around from time to time. If you try live a suburban lifestyle downtown you will miss a lot. There are many wonderful shops and things tucked away that you can easily miss while driving by.

There are many reasons Europe is more walkable. Of course one big one being most of it was designed that way hundreds of years ago. However some of it is also societal choice and government action. For instance, gas prices, parking restrictions, better transit systems and intercity trains. We make choices too, both on an individual basis and on a society level. I do some driving two to three days a week and some walking the other days. I am in an older central area and find that is a nice balance for me. Driving less that I used to is more relaxing/enjoyable.

As a wellness advocate, I also look at this issue on the side of health benefits.
My work is not very active and I don't like being sedentary for too long so I try to make my transportation as active as possible with a walk or bike. Sometimes I do feel like driving and I will but sometimes I also say to myself that if I walk or bike this is another opportunity to get more physical activity in, which I find is also very valuable to my mental health.
The other thing that active transportation has done for me is it has given me a greater appreciation of this city, its neighborhoods, the trees, cool buildings, the river, new eateries, parks etc. It's great coming across people and their dogs, too. I wish there was more of that.
And as mentioned by others, hopefully it's another measure to creating more vibrancy and safer environments.

Last edited:
I have stated in the past on C2E that the core's back alleys are wasted space that could be turned into retail bays for this reason plus sprawling. Since back alleys can be turned into a non-traffic zone, it can be constructed in ways that allow for enclosure in winter but open canopy for summer.

I have stated in the past on C2E that the core's back alleys are wasted space that could be turned into retail bays for this reason plus sprawling. Since back alleys can be turned into a non-traffic zone, it can be constructed in ways that allow for enclosure in winter but open canopy for summer.
The thing is most of the alleys are either parkade or maintenance access, and with a lot of unleased CRU's even before COVID why add more?

In this case the "back alley" is owned by CPR and is ideally suited to a further expansion of ERRS -- a station location for the development -- very promising!
Having an expansion of the High Level streetcar line from Grandin to the core would be a dream. I volunteered for ERRS a few years back. I know they're are working on a short expansion from their Strathcona barn across and up to Whyte and there's also a redo of the Fort Ed line. Expansion to downtown would really give the city some character and would be great for tourism. The heritage streetcar lines we have are such a hidden gem and I wish it had more exposure.

Description: To construct an addition (pedway) crossing above Grade, on private property to connect between two existing mixed-Use buildings, and to construct exterior alterations.
Permit date: February 4, 2021
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 10305 - 104 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: AED,AED,AED,AED

The three media towers around the ICE District Plaza should be going up shortly:

380290867 2-5-2021 11-21-37 AM.png

380290867 2-5-2021 11-21-27 AM.png

380290867 2-5-2021 11-21-08 AM.png

Back