News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Paper Leaf acquired by ZGM:

University of Alberta and Brass Dome Ventures Ltd. launch imYEG accelerator to increase commercialization of research-driven innovations​

Written by Michael Brown on January 28, 2021. Posted in Media, Technology and Innovation.

Another important announcement for our tech sector.

In light of today's announcement of Rogers wanting to purchase Shaw, I wonder if any of the 1,800 Alberta jobs promised will land in Edmonton and what kind of jobs?

Interesting to note that of the big 4 telecommunications companies, two had their origin in Edmonton - Shaw and Telus, which merged with BC Tel in 1999 and now has its head office in Vancouver along with the impressive Telus Sky office building in Calgary. And Shaw moved its head office to Calgary from here and that is now the proposed site of Rogers' western Canadian operations with a new research tech centre promised. That's just days after another new tech head office was announced for cowtown by a company from India.

Meanwhile, the government and education centre focus in Edmonton is under assault with cuts.

Who's pitching Edmonton? Haha
Our province seems so Calgary centric and yes I'm envious of the investment that has gone into that city. Has it been at the expense of us, or do we win when Calgary wins? If so, it doesn't feel that way.

In light of today's announcement of Rogers wanting to purchase Shaw, I wonder if any of the 1,800 Alberta jobs promised will land in Edmonton and what kind of jobs?

Interesting to note that of the big 4 telecommunications companies, two had their origin in Edmonton - Shaw and Telus, which merged with BC Tel in 1999 and now has its head office in Vancouver along with the impressive Telus Sky office building in Calgary. And Shaw moved its head office to Calgary from here and that is now the proposed site of Rogers' western Canadian operations with a new research tech centre promised. That's just days after another new tech head office was announced for cowtown by a company from India.

Meanwhile, the government and education centre focus in Edmonton is under assault with cuts.

Who's pitching Edmonton? Haha
Our province seems so Calgary centric and yes I'm envious of the investment that has gone into that city. Has it been at the expense of us, or do we win when Calgary wins? If so, it doesn't feel that way.

Yes, lost in all the peddling about what Calgary will and will not get, and retaining a Western Canadian head office and investments of a technology and engineering center is the fact that Edmonton lost out on all of that many years ago. And that just eats away at me as it has all been self inflicted in Edmonton.

Seeing this hits a point I have made on the forum before that Edmonton is not nearly as open to corporate investment and relationship as Calgary has been for many many years and the results speak for themselves. Whether Calgary comes out with more investment or jobs aside, Edmonton lost out on all of that entirely. It is quite bothersome to see this trend continue as Edmonton misses out on new office openings, relocations, or investments.

Back