CNIB Redevelopment | 106m | 32s | ONE Properties | Wallman Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What do you mean no entertainment spots or jobs? Clementine, earls and the cabin pub are great spots, there is a sake bar, on the rocks.
Jobs you're 3 blocks away from 124st which has all kinds of different opportunities.

That's a pretty bold statement with no thought put into it
The sake bar (Ikki) closed months ago, sadly.

But I otherwise agree with your sentiment. Plenty to do within a 15 minute walk of this building. You're not hurting for amenities/entertainment spots nearby.

But there’s almost no jobs or entertainment spots within a 15min walk of this building…
Jobs, maybe. Especially If you are thinking big corporate jobs, etc. But there's plenty of small businesses (from retail to small accounting firms, and everything in between) all around Oliver and on 124st.

But entertainment? Apart from the countless restaurants and cafes, you have bars and lounges, like On The Rocks, Reign, Brown's, Original Joe's... hell, even Cactus Club Cafe is within this 15min walking radius.

Victoria Golf Course, Victoria Promenade, River Valley trails... all within 10 minutes...

You don't really walk around that area, do you?

Years ago, I lived a bit west of here and worked right downtown in City Centre and regularly would walk to work. Yes, it was around 20 minutes to walk.

If the weather was unpleasant, I would take the bus, but otherwise I preferred to walk.

Jobs, maybe. Especially If you are thinking big corporate jobs, etc. But there's plenty of small businesses (from retail to small accounting firms, and everything in between) all around Oliver and on 124st.

But entertainment? Apart from the countless restaurants and cafes, you have bars and lounges, like On The Rocks, Reign, Brown's, Original Joe's... hell, even Cactus Club Cafe is within this 15min walking radius.

Victoria Golf Course, Victoria Promenade, River Valley trails... all within 10 minutes...

You don't really walk around that area, do you?
Haha. I’m in this area daily, my wife works as a nurse at a clinic in this area and we have multiple friends in this area, I bike 102ave constantly.

Which is why I made the statement.

Everything people are mentioning are basically just restaurants and small scale retail/shops.

Like there’s a lot of things to do in one sense if you mean to grab food, drinks, or visit a small selection of retailers. But compared to a truly urban area where there are office towers with thousands of employees, or entertainment like sports, concerts, and arts venues….this is mostly just a solid residential area with good walkability.

I just think they’re overselling the “downtown-ness” of this spot. Jobs within 500m of this building wouldn’t be way higher than on the edges of many suburban areas with a shopping centre or school adjacent. Vs our CBD, whyte ave, uni, etc.

What live concerts are you walking to from this building? If you had a degree in business/tech/medical/or gov related, which offices are you walking to? Are there any museums or major cultural institutions to visit? (Some art galleries in 124th would be closest?) what sport venues are a short walk or train ride away?

Not crapping on the area at all. It’s our best neighborhood imo honestly. My wife and I are literally trying to buy a townhouse here.

All I was critiquing was how the marketing for this feels somewhat disingenuous. Almost like a hired firm from out of city is managing it. This is more downtown than our suburbs, but is one of the least “downtown, close to jobs and entertainment” towers in our city too. I actually think the area sells itself. Talk about the river valley, 124st, brewery district, bike lanes, beautiful trees, quieter feel. Vs suggesting it’s some centre of the action urban location like Encore, Sky, Peak.

I wonder if it’s actually a disservice how they’re marketing with current views of DT. I’d say it’s a strategic advantage to emphasize how it’s close, but a bit removed. That’s why west Oliver has had such strong momentum, it’s doesn’t have the social and safety issues like DT.

It's more Uptown than DT vibes for sure, but certainly is a regular choice for those that work DT that want to be near, but far enough.

I thought the saying was, "bright lights big city"? I never had any of this issue when in Hong Kong, Guang Zhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing (especially this city), Beijing or Shanghai. Each of those cities, I stayed right at the heart of the core.

^I'm surprised the lights on top of the JW Marriott building aren't an issue for the Sky residences in Stantec tower.

The buildings are close together and those lights are flashing and changing colours all evening.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 6.41.44 PM.png

https://www.linkedin.com/company/we...age:d_flagship3_feed;us1LR/TqTUqNEA73haBF/A==

Back