Brighton Block | 24m | 6s | Primavera | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hope Primavera and Ken can bounce back from this. I have a hard time believing that statement towards the end of the article stating that the Pandemic didn't really impact the restoration industry. Your anticipated income streams are literally cut off for years and we have entered a high interest environment due to poor policy making on the BoC's part. It's absolute shit-luck and not a testament to anything else.

I do believe Brighton Block will be a pillar in the community as things develop around it and time will tell of the legacy regarding this redevelopment.
Likewise. Amazing or sad how building values can supposedly fluctuate so much. I suppose you can find anyone to say anything, but to say COVID did not have an impact on this is just not credible.

Feels bad man. Brighton Block/Primavera can't catch a break. Endless construction on Jasper, AUM incompetence next door, vagrancy in the area, covid... East Jasper should be on a roll but it isn't, and Primavera lost big time.

Anyone have any insight on how Continental Treat has been doing since they took over the Hardware Grill space? Wondering if there's life to be had on that stretch or it's cursed?

Unfortunately despite many attempts to the contrary, East Jasper is not taking off.

Stigma, opportunity cost, fractured lands and needless speculation put this behind the 8 ball before it even had a chance to try... even with a what, $70mil+ shot in the arm.

It's quite interesting when you compare the trajectory of the Quarters with the East Village.
Things can change for the area fast. Look at downtown Surrey. Keep investing in the community, improve connections, address the social issues, get rid of the stigmas, and eventually values in an area start to rise and justifies more confidence in developers to get going on new projects. Can take time, takes an active initiative at the political level.

Things can change for the area fast. Look at downtown Surrey. Keep investing in the community, improve connections, address the social issues, get rid of the stigmas, and eventually values in an area start to rise and justifies more confidence in developers to get going on new projects. Can take time, takes an active initiative at the political level.
Agree. I’ve been thinking it would be great if Chinatown migrated to the Quarters (fully since its fragmented currently).

Feels bad man. Brighton Block/Primavera can't catch a break. Endless construction on Jasper, AUM incompetence next door, vagrancy in the area, covid... East Jasper should be on a roll but it isn't, and Primavera lost big time.

Anyone have any insight on how Continental Treat has been doing since they took over the Hardware Grill space? Wondering if there's life to be had on that stretch or it's cursed?
The biggest issue with that part of town is perception. It's just not there yet and it's 10+ years from being there imo. It's tough enough to take on a project like this even in the best neighbourhoods let alone this one. And to do this with no pre-leasing was even more of a risk. It also shows just how risky development can be.

Surrey would've eventually gotten expensive just by virtue of where it's located. Even South Central LA isn't cheap these days.

Agree. I’ve been thinking it would be great if Chinatown migrated to the Quarters (fully since its fragmented currently).
And then 97th becomes desolate? Or to make it easier to gentrify McCauley?

The Chinese community largely abandoned the Boyle Street area before Chinatown North (in McCauley) took shape beginning in the late '70s. With urban renewal like Canada Place, there isn't much left and the destruction's frayed most remnant connections. Chinatown North is pretty filled in and healthy, so I'd rather not ruin a good thing over there. Boyle Street / the Quarters can be something else.

Last edited:
Surrey would've eventually gotten expensive just by virtue of where it's located. Even South Central LA isn't cheap these days.

And then 97th becomes desolate? Or to make it easier to gentrify McCauley?

The Chinese community largely abandoned the Boyle Street area before Chinatown North (in McCauley) took shape beginning in the late '70s. With urban renewal like Canada Place, there isn't much left and the destruction's frayed most remnant connections. Chinatown North is pretty filled in and healthy, so I'd rather not ruin a good thing over there. Boyle Street / the Quarters can be something else.

97th is becoming desolate unfortunately (not filled in and healthy?). There are a lot of vacant storefronts so the area could be re-imagined.

If you look at Boyle, where you've noted they Chinese community began @dunno, there continues to be a solid presence. A Chinatown concentrated in the Quarters/Boyle would also benefit from foot traffic from downtown workers at lunch/maybe dinner.

Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 10.50.15 AM.png

Last edited:
The biggest issue with that part of town is perception. It's just not there yet and it's 10+ years from being there imo. It's tough enough to take on a project like this even in the best neighbourhoods let alone this one. And to do this with no pre-leasing was even more of a risk. It also shows just how risky development can be.
Yes, perception is a big part of the problem. It is close to downtown, but if no one want to pay a premium to live there because it is perceived as not safe and/or just an unattractive area with a bunch of empty lots and old mostly run down empty buildings, how does development begin to happen?

My sense is it sadly will only start to happen when most of the other good locations downtown for new large residential buildings are filled. So perhaps in 5 to 10 years.

97th is becoming desolate unfortunately (not filled in and healthy?). There are a lot of vacant storefronts so the area could be re-imagined.

If you look at Boyle, where you've noted they Chinese community began @dunno, there continues to be a solid presence. A Chinatown concentrated in the Quarters/Boyle would also benefit from foot traffic from downtown workers at lunch/maybe dinner.

View attachment 486045
Yeah, I'm extremely familiar with the history of Boyle Street, including Edmonton's original Chinatown. I'm not suggesting there's nothing Chinese in Boyle Street but you're smoking something good if you think the density of businesses and institutions is anything near the level in McCauley.

When I say 97th is filled in, I mean both in terms of businesses in CRUs as well as in the physical realm. Boyle Street, for better or worse, still looks like a bomb went off in most places. The scars of decades of neglect and urban renewal going nowhere have left it with huge gaping holes. Say what you will about 97th, but it's one of the most solidly built up main streets in the city, with great, fine-grained urbanism from Pacific Mall to St Josaphat's. The area is well-regarded in foodie circles as a hidden gem with a lot of great restaurants, plus grocers like Lucky 97 really anchor the area. The area's obviously had a rough go for the past few years in particular, but even with a little more vacancies, it's still miles ahead of where Boyle Street is in terms of the Chinese community.

Yes, perception is a big part of the problem. It is close to downtown, but if no one want to pay a premium to live there because it is perceived as not safe and/or just an unattractive area with a bunch of empty lots and old mostly run down empty buildings, how does development begin to happen?

My sense is it sadly will only start to happen when most of the other good locations downtown for new large residential buildings are filled. So perhaps in 5 to 10 years.
That's optimistic.

Back