Brighton Block | 24m | 6s | Primavera | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cannot believe they butchered the original early 20th century store fronts. Total loss of the historic fabric and character. Instead we get more cold and lifeless floor to ceiling glazing... excited for a cannabis retailer and mucho burrito to move in!

Cannot believe they butchered the original early 20th century store fronts. Total loss of the historic fabric and character. Instead we get more cold and lifeless floor to ceiling glazing... excited for a cannabis retailer and mucho burrito to move in!
Total loss? The entire significant heritage facades along Jasper Avenue were retained in-situ. Given the condition of the buildings pre-rehabilitation, we could have easily ended up with a vacant gravel lot given the condition of the buildings if Ken and company didn't step up.

Total loss? The entire significant heritage facades along Jasper Avenue were retained in-situ. Given the condition of the buildings pre-rehabilitation, we could have easily ended up with a vacant gravel lot given the condition of the buildings if Ken and company didn't step up.
Street level 😮‍💨

Well personally I look forward to seeing some businesses that will attract pedestrians to the area. Some food vendors would be nice to see here.
Something similar to the nice restaurant on the corner of Jasper and 97th would be great. Its actually not a bad location, not really that far from the Convention Centre.

Out of sight, out of mind though... it is like the hotel to the east of it.

We must build north of this and find a few tenants to drive some activity in the area.

I think it mostly has to do with the negative perception of the area east of 97 St and the fact that there isn't much around there. However, I don't think this area is really any more unsafe than many other parts of downtown, just maybe more sterile and inactive.

It can be a bit of standoff, no one is willing to open something in the area until someone else does. Businesses in Edmonton tend to be a bit risk adverse, but perhaps eventually someone will see the opportunity and not just the risk.

Is the area really that bad? It was pretty gnarly back in 2013 when I was in university, but the past few times I’ve come to visit (including admiring this building from across the street), the whole area didn’t feel unsafe. It did however feel vacant of any businesses and activities.

Is the area really that bad? It was pretty gnarly back in 2013 when I was in university, but the past few times I’ve come to visit (including admiring this building from across the street), the whole area didn’t feel unsafe. It did however feel vacant of any businesses and activities.
I wouldn't say it's unsafe, just not much going on to draw people in. However, Tee Pee Treats is open in the CO*LAB building on 102A Avenue now and I'm going there tonight for dinner before a show at the Citadel. We need more destinations like that to draw more people into the area, as it's really just a bunch of parking lots with the odd building and park thrown in there right now.

It's basically empty/without much and so the old issues are largely a thing of the past... but perception, look, feel and voids of normal use persists.

There isn't much to cause problem in the area because there a whole lot of lots. The way I see it, if the dive bar building gets renovated and improved, the empty lot gets filled and the ugly empty building gets renovated or torn down and built anew people could be drawn to the area, especially if we can see at least one more residential tower/building built within a block or two radius.

What kind of progress has the city made towards encouraging development of all the Ill maintained parking lots? Any tax incentives to get buildings built? Any penalization or heavier taxes on vacant lots?

I think going forward bylaws should call for all central lots to require paving and a set percentage of landscaping/greenery. Taxes on parking lots should also be significantly higher per percentage value then a developed lot. It needs to be less comfortable to sit on an illegal or I’ll maintained lot for decades asking far higher pricing than what the value dictates.

Back