What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Considering the Coop is gone from Millwoods TC, I fully expect some people to come to Bonnie Doon for the Safeway rather than taking a bus to either Meadows, Millbourne or anywhere else at times.

Considering the Coop is gone from Millwoods TC, I fully expect some people to come to Bonnie Doon for the Safeway rather than taking a bus to either Meadows, Millbourne or anywhere else at times.
On the Co-op thing: they're opening one in the Orchards/Summerside late spring-2024 (25ave/66st SW).

But I guess it'll still make more sense to use Safeway if you're north of the Henday.

Aside from Safeway, what stores are there currently that would drive the mass to the mall?
The problem is that for Bonnie Doon, the departure of the department stores (Sears and Target/Zellers) meant that the mall really has nothing that every other strip mall and plaza on the southside doesn't have already.

A Giant Tiger would be useful at that location.

Safeway, as per the property owner, has a newer 100 year lease on the site. All Bonnie Doon needs is to be slowly and thoughtfully redeveloped with a focus on services.

It would be a great location for some adult/family entertainment (like the bowling lanes).

During consults with the property owners the community made sure to highlight support for the bowling ally and helping it transition into a new space.

Here's a full list:
Thanks. So, if I count correctly that is around 80 different stores and services, which seems not so bad. So, yes some may be niche or eclectic but this isn't the mall to go to if you want Abercrombie, H&M or Old Navy.

There is a glass half full perspective, which I find overly dreary, to some of the discussion on certain malls that focuses or obsesses on all the things lost or gone and doesn't really consider what is there or may have been added.

I was at the mall the other day -- only reason was it was connected with Valley Line. It's definitely got some quirk and its own charm. A few interesting stores worth seeing.

My big question is: what's the over/under on anything substantial happening over the next 5 years?

You must have not been wearing your clearshades. There’s a good volume of people, and like someone else said it’s even more with the LRT running.
The issue with Bonnie Doon is that it doesn't really activate the neighbourhood. It is only open during the daytime and closes early. As someone who lives a block away from the mall, I hope they start on some development efforts sooner rather than later. I haven't seen anyone quantify numbers other than the eye test here. By my observation, while it is slightly busier with the LRT, it isn't bustling to the point where former stores will return nor is it a draw other than the core services that have been in the mall for years like Safeway, SDM and the post office and the optometrist. The other new additions are likely on short term leases. For young families and couples, there are better community draws nearby. It was one of the reasons that the redevelopment proposal was so enticing - it was meant to open up the building to the outside and be inviting along with offering community spaces in off hours. Right now, it's dead space except during the day.

I was at the mall the other day -- only reason was it was connected with Valley Line. It's definitely got some quirk and its own charm. A few interesting stores worth seeing.

My big question is: what's the over/under on anything substantial happening over the next 5 years?
Bonnie Doon mall is becoming a destination.

I’ll take Summer 2024 — under.

The issue with Bonnie Doon is that it doesn't really activate the neighbourhood. It is only open during the daytime and closes early. As someone who lives a block away from the mall, I hope they start on some development efforts sooner rather than later. I haven't seen anyone quantify numbers other than the eye test here. By my observation, while it is slightly busier with the LRT, it isn't bustling to the point where former stores will return nor is it a draw other than the core services that have been in the mall for years like Safeway, SDM and the post office and the optometrist. The other new additions are likely on short term leases. For young families and couples, there are better community draws nearby. It was one of the reasons that the redevelopment proposal was so enticing - it was meant to open up the building to the outside and be inviting along with offering community spaces in off hours. Right now, it's dead space except during the day.
Agree. I was only commenting on the increased volume I’ve seen at non-peak hours. I hope for development too - being a block away too.

Back