What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
In Edmonton's District Energy Strategy (August 2022) Bonnie Doon is marked as a 'first priority area':

First Priority Areas
Bonnie Doon - District Node
» The redeveloped Bonnie Doon Mall site will have some of the highest new residential density in the city, surpassed only by The Quarters.
» Rezoning for the site is already completed, and based on the City Plan, this will be one of the first areas of the city to densify. It is crucial to begin planning for District Energy on the site as soon as possible to ensure all new buildings are connected to the system.
» The City is planning a new twin ice rink arena at the Dermott District Park site, close to the development. This City-owned facility could be an excellent source of waste heat for a District Energy System, and it could potentially house an energy centre.

Also interesting reference to a 'twin rink' which was discussed prior to the redevelopment of Dermott District Park.

1209312A-32E5-4A89-BA1E-FB57C90DBE01.jpeg

Bonnie Doon Mall had more people walking around this afternoon. I'm thinking the opening of the Valley Line LRT is the reason. I hope this spurs more shoppers, more retail openings, and the TOD redevelopment.
The TOD would be great, in the short term more retail would be nice to see.

Bonnie Doon Mall had more people walking around this afternoon. I'm thinking the opening of the Valley Line LRT is the reason. I hope this spurs more shoppers, more retail openings, and the TOD redevelopment.
I specifically went to the Safeway at Bonnie Doon yesterday just to have an excuse to take the train even though I live 4 blocks from the Unity Square one 😂

I specifically went to the Safeway at Bonnie Doon yesterday just to have an excuse to take the train even though I live 4 blocks from the Unity Square one 😂
It will be interesting to see if having the Valley Line running now will have an impact on Bonnie Doon or the other two malls along the line. Interestingly, they are all struggling and I suspect the long delay in getting this line up and running did not help any of them.

Also interestingly, two of the busier malls in the city already have LRT service and stations nearby.

In the long run, I think redevelopment here is needed and will help, but that may not happen soon, so in the meantime it would be nice if things pick up some.

Back