What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
I could see how that would make sense with phasing and mall demolition as the main mall corridor runs N/S. Can continue operating the south portions of the mall as each phase is built. The safeway is also probably their most secure tenant with the North end always being pretty uncertain.

From the approved zoning proposal docs:
bdphasing.png

If the first option is chosen, the conditions include development of a transit park adjacent to the LRT stop as well as the 83 St Park (top of map).

Safeway getting interior/exterior renos is a good sign. It's not like they were going to tear it down for this development to kick off but they were going to need to update the facade depending on they plan to retain that area of the site.

Now if someone posted that they were repainting the parking lines by Sears, then we should all rightfully freak out.

Safeway getting interior/exterior renos is a good sign. It's not like they were going to tear it down for this development to kick off but they were going to need to update the facade depending on they plan to retain that area of the site.

Now if someone posted that they were repainting the parking lines by Sears, then we should all rightfully freak out.
We do all the Safeway signage in Western Canada and the new exterior renovations look really sleek and modern. It will be be a nice refresh to the Safeway Brand and the Bonnie Doon area.

LRT is just one factor, but, from a business perspective and optical setting, it is best to shove your product into people faces as they drive or walk by imo.

I would think having the Safeway there is good marketing towards whatever towers you decide to build here. If you're going to sell a vision of a walkable, TOD development, it makes sense to have some amenities in place for your first residents to be able to walk to

When this was first announced, I think I read that Safeway has a 30 year lease with the mall. I work at a store in the mall, and I was serving a lady who works at the Shoppers recently. She mentioned that Shoppers plans to stay there for the long haul as well. Considering the prime real estate they occupy, and that these aren't businesses which need to be in a mall to really do well, perhaps we could see them becoming anchor businesses of the redeveloped area. I mean, if I lived in one of the towers being planned, I'd certainly love to have a pharmacy and a grocery store right there as Grandinite said. Maybe they'd be put into new buildings when the time comes, but I can certainly imagine the mall leaving them for a while to come since they do so well, and this is being done in a phased approach anyway.

Also, on the topic of Safeway being renovated, M&M is also planning on renovating its Bonnie Doon location, which is right beside Safeway. They also hope to expand it a bit by leasing the small commercial space at its north-east corner, which is currently occupied by Island Inkjet.

Last edited:
http://connectbonniedoon.com/ has been down for the past two or three days. I phoned their Edmonton office about it yesterday and they said that they'd the folks in IT know; hopefully it's just a temporary thing. When will they make a decision regarding which part of the mall they want to start the re-development at?

On an unrelated note, I didn't realize how far the temporary transit walkway is from the actual LRT stop. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to put along the roadway leading to the liquor store? There's a sidewalk there as well, and a heck of a lot of parking lot to work with. Even if they had to expand the sidewalk, losing a few stalls wouldn't hurt anyone.

I say start with option 2, the westward site. Why? It eats up the first chunk of surface parking while keeping the mall intact. Maybe this will help drive more traffic and then maybe down the line Morguard can make the case for an increase of retail/entertainment to the site. I'm jealous of the Lower Mainland and their plethora of mall redevelopments since most if not all actually increase the retail sq ft on site rather than remove it for other uses... I can think of at least a half dozen retailers I'd like to see... Cineplex VIP-Indigo-Rec Room ONEX super-block, a few more mainstream retailers... Apple, Old Navy, The Gap, H&M-ish would help. For a mall that's virtually the closest to downtown at the U of A without being in either locations you'd think we'd get that mid-town effect going here the same way that Kingsway really generates a ton of foot traffic in the Royal Alex area.... Yes having NAIT and the hospital on your doorstop helps, not to mention a former airport, but the disposable income and education levels of this part of the South Side especially should make companies take note... Especially after Chapters on Whyte closed... And now Princess theatre also have gone under again... Still thinking the city shot itself in the foot when it rejected that Alliance-Atlantis theatre project for the Varscona Hotel parkade roof... Ah well, maybe if Landmark is still in the building mood post pandemic since Cineplex isn't looking too healthy at the moment. The instant you start selling off your HQ for cash to pay for the debt servicing costs you might as well give it up... Then again I'm not surprised, the chain has fallen into as much disrepair as most of their non UVX auditoriums... I literally have a scar on my arse from when I got cut at South Edmonton Common on a broken seat. The "management" didn't even have the good sense to offer me a bandaid at first when I talked to the ticket office with blooded hands and a cut butt... That said all I needed to know about it and haven't really been back since... Landmark St Albert 8 became my go-to theatre... Those seats alone make it worth driving out to the edge of metro region...

The website http://connectbonniedoon.com/ is now completely offline, so I phoned the property's general manager to see if this project has been delayed at all. She said that it's the first she's heard of the website being offline and she'll let someone know, and that the project is still on track. She couldn't say anything beyond that, because everything gets decided at head office. Perhaps I'll give them a try on Monday for the heck of it, although I doubt they'd tell me anything.

The website http://connectbonniedoon.com/ is now completely offline, so I phoned the property's general manager to see if this project has been delayed at all. She said that it's the first she's heard of the website being offline and she'll let someone know, and that the project is still on track. She couldn't say anything beyond that, because everything gets decided at head office. Perhaps I'll give them a try on Monday for the heck of it, although I doubt they'd tell me anything.
You should call head office.

Head Office
55 City Centre Drive
Suite 800
Mississauga, ON
L5B 1M3
T 905-281-3800
T 1-800-928-6255 (Toll Free) - See more at: https://www.morguard.com/contact/#sthash.HAorX3sT.dpuf

Back