• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Here it is...

I would like to inquire why the waste of money for another temporary station when it can just be fully built out using what this developer is already planning? Established where you stop and developers will fill around that. I'm getting fed up with wasted money for very little gain.
We elected these councillors to spend wisely *not play monopoly at our tax dollar's expense* . Enough with this BS!
Exactly. Many European stations are in, on and under shopping malls.

The Safeway is coming along nicely.
20210330_141929.jpg

Reference Id:Job No 387198415-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations on a portion of the Site to include removal of 29 vehicular parking stalls to accommodate reconfiguration of drive aisles, add new landscaping and hardsurfacing upgrades and expanding interior walkways; and adding 11 drop-off/pick up stalls to the existing Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
Plan 2224KS Blk 3 Lots A,B,C
Applicant:B&A PLANNING GROUP
Create Date:2021/02/22
Neighbourgood:BONNIE DOON

B&A is the project lead for phase one of the Bonnie Doon TOD development, but there really isn't much else on their website about where they're at right now. They were also the applicant for the temporary transit plaza. I wonder if the work in the parking lot or expansion of "interior walkways" is preparatory work for the redevelopment of the mall, or at least for the transit plaza? I don't know why else B&A would be applying for this.

Last edited:
Reference Id:Job No 387198415-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations on a portion of the Site to include removal of 29 vehicular parking stalls to accommodate reconfiguration of drive aisles, add new landscaping and hardsurfacing upgrades and expanding interior walkways; and adding 11 drop-off/pick up stalls to the existing Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
Create Date:2021/02/22
Neighbourgood:BONNIE DOON

B&A is the project lead for phase one of the Bonnie Doon TOD development, but there really isn't much else on their website about where they're at right now. They were also the applicant for the temporary transit plaza. I wonder if the work in the parking lot or expansion of "interior walkways" is preparatory work for the redevelopment of the mall, or at least for the transit plaza? I don't know why else B&A would be applying for this.
Site Plan 4-15-2021 10-49-28 AM.png

Isn't this "transit plaza" a bit far away from the LRT stop? I might be wrong, but this seems to me like more of a standalone pedestrian initiative rather than one geared towards transit users. There's a sidewalk that goes directly from the stop to the mall, so I don't see why commuters would head all the way over to this one. Maybe I'm missing the point of why this is being put in, but I just don't see why it's being called a transit plaza. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll look great and I'm glad it's being built, I just think the name is a bit misleading.

Heaven forbid our city should do anything that actually makes sense when it come to transit.

It seems to be designed by bureaucrats to make things as inconvenient and difficult as possible for everyone.
I think they avoided doing that since Bonnie Doon is going to be redeveloped over the next 30 or so years (which is the point of this thread), to transition from a shopping mall to a community of mixed-use towers. It's easier for the developers to work around the station than having to worry about where and how deep they dig (which would limit tower height), keeping the station open and accessible during the decades of construction, having to readjust its building plans to make room for the station entrances, etc. At least with the status quo, the land that the mall is on is theirs to develop with fewer constrains, and ETS also has one less headache to worry about in the long term.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be nice to have, but it's not like we're talking one or two towers here, where the station could go in their lobbies. Morguard isn't even sure at this point which part of the mall they're going to develop first (they have two options), let alone how big they'll be or who they'll be targeted towards, so there's just too much uncertainty to commit with a permanent LRT station.

Wonder what this is?

Reference Id:Job No 396897108-002
Description:(BONNIE DOON SHOPPING CENTRE)
Create Date:2021/05/21
Neighbourhood:BONNIE DOON

Wonder what this is?

Reference Id:Job No 396897108-002
Description:(BONNIE DOON SHOPPING CENTRE)
Create Date:2021/05/21
Neighbourhood:BONNIE DOON
Just a sign permit, nothing too crazy.

HAPPY DAYS! I tried calling the Edmonton office again, and they gave me the contact number for someone who actually knows about the redevelopment process, and connectbonniedoon.com. She confirmed that they took the website down on purpose, but also clarified that the project is still moving ahead. It's going a bit slower "like everything else" because of Covid, but they did not pause it. The website was only taking down because their work on this is all behind the scenes right now, so there's just not a lot to update the public on. The woman I spoke with is part of their marketing team, but works a fair bit with their "redevelopment team." All-in-all, this is great news; Morguard still has a team dedicated to this project, and it's moving ahead despite the pandemic. She specifically cited the LRT as one reason why the land has potential, so even if it's "just" her opinion, I think it shows that they see the long-term value of moving ahead with this!

Slap down a ton of low/mid-rise rental and add some retail to support it. Done.

I for one cannot see them doing anything close to their original plans* and that's fine.

*see Centrury Park
I hope that high rises stay in their long term plans, but I'm all for smaller buildings going in first to get the momentum going. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Back