Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

IMG_7456.jpeg

I wish I would have gotten a better picture now, but lots of new construction underway on alpha blvd. Full block of town homes under construction on the one side of the street, and across the street all of the lots all say sold.

The blocks in between the built up part and the pond seem like they are now ready for construction but from what I saw the lots didn’t seem to be sold yet.

View attachment 558218
I wish I would have gotten a better picture now, but lots of new construction underway on alpha blvd. Full block of town homes under construction on the one side of the street, and across the street all of the lots all say sold.

The blocks in between the built up part and the pond seem like they are now ready for construction but from what I saw the lots didn’t seem to be sold yet.
I took some pics earlier in the month, I might as well post them! Comparing my pictures of Alpha Blvd to yours (I only posted one here), they've made a lot of progress in a month! And about the plots by the lake: I haven't seem them listed on Streetside's website yet and the permits haven't been submitted, so that might help explain why none have sold yet. I haven't been back to Blatchford itself since I took these pics, but I was in the area the next day and it looked like Streetscape's first plot (the one by Airport Road) was being dug up. I could be wrong, but if I saw things right that means they broke ground - which is not captured in these photos.
20240404_122202.jpg20240404_122419.jpg20240404_122527.jpg20240404_122810.jpg20240404_122850.jpg20240404_122113.jpg20240404_123303.jpg20240404_123206.jpg20240404_123412.jpg20240404_123459.jpg20240404_123507.jpg20240404_123618.jpg20240404_123640.jpg20240404_123820.jpg20240404_123811.jpg

View attachment 558218

Sometimes one has to get out of one’s car. 😏

This might be too early for now, but with the feds proposing to redevelop defence lands for housing, what are the chances they include the armoury next to Blatchford?

Absolutely terrible news. I really want to know how this thing started and hope it was not nefarious in nature.

The % of fires in historic/character properties is outrageous.

Awful stuff.

Shovels were to have been in the ground this summer.

Shovels in the ground for what? Isn’t/wasn’t the re-hab on hold due to lack funding from ‘Ol Danni?

I'm just gutted by this news. It was to be the central hub in the redevelopment and a link to the past. We just can't ever have nice things in Edmonton.

This was also the last remaining hanger built by the Americans for ferrying aircraft to Alaska, where they were picked up by the Soviets. The remaining hanger (the museum) was part of the Canadian half of the base, for training allied airmen. The industrial buildings to the north, currently being torn down for the Yellowhead expansion, were built by Aircraft Repair Ltd and served as an integral part of the airfield operations. It's so sad to lose so much of our wartime history in one year. At times during the war, Blatchford Field was reportedly the busiest airport in the world due to its important role in the Allied war effort. Now only one structure remains to tell all of their stories.

The head of the Aviation Museum was on Edmonton AM this morning to discuss the hanger, and I will post a link when avalible.

Last edited:

Back