Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Some people will be price sensitive and take a deal in the deep suburbs, but others (which I count myself part of) will pay more to live centrally. As the city grows and traffic becomes worse, location will become increasingly important IMHO.

IMG_6569.jpeg

Agreed.

Also why I bike to work. 😂

I agree, I work downtown and prefer a shorter commute too.

However, a big problem for our city is the employment base in the central and core areas is not that large and there doesn't seem to be much urgency by the city or really anyone to try grow it significantly.

We seem content to have jobs added mostly in suburban industrial areas.

Blows my mind the number of SFH's under construction in Beaumont. Literally 4 new subdivisions are in years 2-3 of development. ALL of the remaining odd lots here and there, and what few pockets were left are all filled up. Except the Boudreau apartment building is not under construction in it's current lot but I think it got moved to here, right in the middle of a Fountain Tire and an automotive shop....seems super weird.

Blows my mind the number of SFH's under construction in Beaumont. Literally 4 new subdivisions are in years 2-3 of development. ALL of the remaining odd lots here and there, and what few pockets were left are all filled up. Except the Boudreau apartment building is not under construction in it's current lot but I think it got moved to here, right in the middle of a Fountain Tire and an automotive shop....seems super weird.

is this anti Beaumont or pro Beaumont?

The City of Edmonton is not a developer, does not have development competencies, and is not a for-profit business. The city needs to stop pretending it is a developer while losing tax payer dollars.

Does anyone in city hall know what they are doing anymore? Is there anything positive, constructive and non-chaotic coming out of city hall at this time?

The City of Edmonton is not a developer, does not have development competencies, and is not a for-profit business. The city needs to stop pretending it is a developer while losing tax payer dollars.

Does anyone in city hall know what they are doing anymore? Is there anything positive, constructive and non-chaotic coming out of city hall at this time?

Wow, that's an important but troubling audit. The dept. overseeing this project has some 'splainin to do. And it will be an interesting discussion by council upcoming. Interested to hear Coun. Stevenson's take who tends to view most issues with rose colored glasses.

Yes, but if they had a development corporation, it'd bring transparency to how the Blatchford project is underperforming on virtually every metric they originally forecasted.

Does this surprise anyone? It's been a gong show ever since the design competition and while it may be over the hump, it has a long, long way to go to deliver on promises, vision and dreams.

Yes, but if they had a development corporation, it'd bring transparency to how the Blatchford project is underperforming on virtually every metric they originally forecasted.
I would cut them a little bit of slack here. As Yogi Berra once said, It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.

However, the agonizing slowness of the development is a sign that there are problems here. It is probably fair to say the city neither had the experience or understanding of the market when it got into this with its rosy projections.

Back