Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I stopped by Blatchford yesterday now that the snow is almost all gone. I saw kids playing in the park, a man walking his dog, and plenty of cars parked in the driveways; it was beautiful to see those signs that this is becoming a proper residential community. Encore has also already started working on their next homes, and someone was just finishing up a tour of one of their showhomes when I walked by. I also strolled through the park as much as I could -the trail paving is not done yet- and tried to check out the LRT construction. I got as far as the old runway (which is still there) until it got too muddy for me to continue on. I wonder if the soil by that runway was remediated even though the runway is still there? I hope so, because some geese were eating from a puddle in the mud adjacent to the runway (I think they were at least, because one was diving head-first until its feet were straight up in the air). Plenty of Canada Geese have already made the park their home as well, and they sure weren't pleased to see me! This area will look spectacular once the landscaping is finished, and until I got to the runway, I couldn't even believe that an airport used to be there. These 15 pictures don't do it justice (for example, you can't really tell how beautiful the paving stone walkways are), as I tried to show a bit of everything while staying within the limit. I highly recommend that you consider checking it out this summer!

20210331_165046.jpg20210331_165028.jpg20210331_165103.jpg20210331_165329.jpg20210331_165554.jpg20210331_165823.jpg20210331_170230.jpg20210331_170353.jpg20210331_171016.jpg20210331_171122.jpg20210331_172613.jpg20210331_174157.jpg20210331_174437.jpg20210331_174706.jpg20210331_174753.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't see that one standing up to their renders, unless there are still some additional treatments to come.

They were my favorite units pre-construction, and I think they are going to end up being my least favorite when everything is built.

That was one of the design elements of Ocheller. They intentionally designed it with cedar so it would fade out to look like an "older cabin" with modern design elements. It's all over their Instagram and has been before they started development.

^

Yes, those images all over their Instagram are what I am referring to.

I don't think there will be any point of time - brand new or weathered over time - where the exterior will actually look that similar to the renders.

Only thing I don't like is the absence of trees.. it will take many years for it to look like a "green" neighborhood it strives to be.
I don't mind that to be honest, for the same reason I don't mind that Blatchford started with a few townhouses. I find something satisfying about watching something like this grow and develop over time. As the landscaping continues this year and the plants mature accordingly, the area will start to look better. I find it nice to be able to watch it happen; Blatchford is the largest development in Edmonton's core in a number of years (it has roughly the same area as downtown), and it's not often that we can watch something of this magnitude grow and mature in front of our very eyes :)

I'm not sure I'd trust a private developer to stick with such rigorous standards, such as green building codes, environment features (like bioswales), the district energy centre (which will eventually be expanded to include sewage heat recovery), etc. Could the city actually force a developer to keep spending money on these things?
even in alberta there are more examples of successful private sector projects than public ones that have been successfully completed... https://www.dlsc.ca/

It looks like Mutti has broken ground on their Modern Farmhouse development, and it looks like more utilities are being trenched in on the northwest side of Yorke. There is also work going on around the Fane road area, although I have not wandered by to check it out.

Took a stroll around the new hood. Over by the lake we saw a nesting Canada goose, as well as ducks, and seagulls. The geese and seagulls were having a noisy turf war, so we didn't linger on the pier too long.
PXL_20210417_020007030-EFFECTS.jpg

Over by the control tower there is a new sidewalk stylized to look like the old runway, which is a neat little touch. In general all of the footpaths seem to be unique in their brickwork.

PXL_20210417_023311167-EFFECTS.jpg

Took a stroll around the new hood. Over by the lake we saw a nesting Canada goose, as well as ducks, and seagulls. The geese and seagulls were having a noisy turf war, so we didn't linger on the pier too long.
View attachment 313286
Over by the control tower there is a new sidewalk stylized to look like the old runway, which is a neat little touch. In general all of the footpaths seem to be unique in their brickwork.

View attachment 313288
That is the coolest footpath I have ever seen. If I was a kid, I'd pretend I was an airplane and play on that thing with my brother.

Back