Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

That's a reserve unit. similar to the one on the south side. The big toys get used out at Wainwright or the Garrison.
Little side-note for folks who don't know: Edmonton actually has seven active reserve units. Three of them (6 Intelligence Company, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, and the South Alberta Light Horse) are based at Jefferson Armoury, and another four (20th Field Artillery Regiment, 41 Service Battalion, 41 Combat Engineer Regiment, and 41 Signal Regiment) are at Debeny Armoury (along Roper Road, near the Gerry Wright OMF).

It is interesting to see the armory in the location there, although according to the plans that NAIT released it definitely appears that's they feel that the Armory will eventually be moved. If the school is to proceed with their Green Space the Armory will have to move as the plans show the green space going right through the current compound of the armory.

Although on the other hand it would be fascinating to have military on patrol around blatchford and be the most secure neighbourhood in Edmonton. lol

So was out at Blatchford today. 4 more residences are almost ready for occupancy. They have been sold .

We checked it to see how the Geo Thermal worked this last cold period. No issues at all since it has been up and running. the back up auxiliary system was not even needed. Will be interesting to see what happens as more demand gets added to the current system.

So was out at Blatchford today. 4 more residences are almost ready for occupancy. They have been sold .

We checked it to see how the Geo Thermal worked this last cold period. No issues at all since it has been up and running. the back up auxiliary system was not even needed. Will be interesting to see what happens as more demand gets added to the current system.
What fuel source does the auxiliary system use?
And I agree, I wonder when they'll work on phase two; I imagine NAIT's upcoming residences alone would be pretty demanding. I think sewage heat collection will be added next.

What fuel source does the auxiliary system use?
And I agree, I wonder when they'll work on phase two; I imagine NAIT's upcoming residences alone would be pretty demanding. I think sewage heat collection will be added next.
Nuclear fusion. The plan is for the entire city to tie into the system.

Nuclear fusion as a sustainable earth-bound power source is currently unproven. There are a few test projects (extremely expensive) that are underway (I believe two in the U.S. and one in Europe to date). I can't imagine that Edmonton has plans for one other than pure speculation at some distant future point. It is more likely a geothermal plant.

There is an interesting tidbit in this article: There are currently around "20 customers" using Blatchford's district energy system. I wonder if this includes the homes which started construction a few weeks ago, or if that figure only counts the homes which are done/ready to accept residents within weeks.

The auxiliary is electric heat.

As for the customers, the homes that are just framed are not part of it. The residences have to be substantially complete to be added to the system. That's why you see gas heating used during construction.

Nothing but the cost that is. The cost would be a factor of 10 greater than the entire cost of everything that is going into Blatchford otherwise -- I can't see Mike Nickel voting for that 🧐
Well maybe if we convince him that the money for such a project would come from the bike lane budget, or that the grounds for the plant would become a sea of bike lanes otherwise...

"Word has it that if you go into a suburban strip mall Starbucks, order and coffee and say your name is "Bikelane", the barista will have to shout the word out when your order is done and at least three suburban neo-traditionalists will run out of the cafe crying."

Last edited:

Back