Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Thanks for the maps, it's good to be reminded that though Blatchford feels like a huge open field right now, the current developments aren't actually that far from where the replacement NAIT LRT station is to be built.

Thanks for the maps, it's good to be reminded that though Blatchford feels like a huge open field right now, the current developments aren't actually that far from where the replacement NAIT LRT station is to be built.
I saw this thread earlier today, so today's excursion was to Blatchford to see how things were going. I think LRT connectivity is going to be less of an issue than it looks initially. from the traffic circle at the Edge of phase 1, the new street being built fronting the LRT (at least i assume it's a street and not the train itself, given the fire hydrants) is probably 400-500m away. the Energy plant is about a third of the total distance. using that as a bit of a measuring stick to guesstimate off of, the actual NAIT platform looks to be about 600m-700m from the roads currently built. looking at the plan, and how the site is right now, it wouldn't be hard to build the street that will connect the station to Phase 1 in time for the station opening, even if actual buildings won't go up along it for another few years. It looks like a big distance now, but it isn't that far, so much as 'muddy and inhospitable to anything but coyotes and 4x4s'. I think in the 3-ish years we have until the LRT is actually running there will be buildings a lot closer than they are now, too.
That's one thing I was surprised to see today too; that a street is being laid out alongside the LRT. they aren't just throwing some tracks in the ground and leaving the rest for later. I bet the more comprehensive connectivity stuff like road/sidewalks/paths to the current development are part of the LRT work starting up now.
IMG_0261.JPGIMG_0264.JPG

Executive Council's voted 5-0 to pursue Option 2, selling Hangar 11 at below market value to a group ready to restore and redevelop it. They proposal submitted in today's discussions look really interesting, with the leading idea being to convert the east and west office wings of the building into student housing, with the central hall being repurposed into retail/event space.

Executive Council's voted 5-0 to pursue Option 2, selling Hangar 11 at below market value to a group ready to restore and redevelop it. They proposal submitted in today's discussions look really interesting, with the leading idea being to convert the east and west office wings of the building into student housing, with the central hall being repurposed into retail/event space.
Was the proposal submitted by the company which requested to purchase the hanger? If so, I'm thrilled that they want to attain historical designation for the building while putting it to such great use!

Was the proposal submitted by the company which requested to purchase the hanger? If so, I'm thrilled that they want to attain historical designation for the building while putting it to such great use!
Yes, that's the one! I probably should have clarified. There were concerns from NAIT about not being 'consulted' in that group's design/ consultation phase, and not having their own proposals for the site even acknowledged by the City — this was refuted by Administration. Their qualms weren't enough to sway anyone on Council (not even Tim Cartmell who sounded like he was leaning in NAITs direction), as the state of the building is just too dire to have this ruminate for another year. The winning group said they want shovels in the ground this spring, assuming the deal is formally hashed out by that point.

Via Heritage Forward, the two proposals. The winning proposal above, and NAITs suggested 'preservation' below:
EtK1Tj6VQAEo7Se.jpeg

EtK1lLbUUAAE0Yw.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one! I probably should have clarified. There were some legitimate concerns from NAIT about not being 'consulted' in that group's design/ consultation phase, but it wasn't enough to sway anyone on Council. The state of the building is just to dire to have this go back and ruminate for another year. They said they want shovels in the ground (assuming the deal is formally hashed out) this spring.

Via Heritage Forward, the winning proposal:
View attachment 297582

Versus NAIT's suggestion for 'preservation':
View attachment 297583
Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad that council and the company both recognize the need to move quickly on this. It's a nice bonus that it will meet Blatchford's sustainability requirements; I honestly wasn't expecting that. It also looks much better than NAIT's proposal to be quite honest; I greatly dislike how NAIT's proposal alters the superstructure so drastically. I see why you put 'preservation' in quotes.

Back